Topic: chess puzzler
Replies: 11   Last Post: Aug 26, 2004 10:01 PM

Alan Lipp

Re: chessboard rectangles

Sarah,

I agree with your total (1296). With a little rearranging your method
will produce the general formula for the number of rectangles on an n by n
chessboard.

Cont the rectangles by rows.

In row 1 there are n 1 by 1s , n-1 1 by 2s, ... 2 1 by n-1s and 1 1 by n:

Row Total = n + (n-1) + (n-2) + ... + 3 + 2 + 1 = n(n+1)/2 rectangles.

But of course there are n rows giving n ( row sum )

Now count all rectangels of height 2 . Start in the bottom row.

There are n 2 by 1s and n-1 2 by 2s and ... and 1 2 by n for a

Row Total = n + (n-1) + (n-2) + ... + 3 + 2 + 1 = n (n+1)/2

The row total is the same, as it will be for all the rectangles of height
3, 4, ... n because they all share the same bases at the bottom of the
board. However, there are only n-1 rows of height 2 and n-2 rows of
height 3 etc. Thus,

# 1 by any totals: n [n(n+1)/2]
# 2 by any totals: (n-1)[n(n+1)/2]
# 3 by any totals: (n-2) [n(n+1)/2]

#n by any totals: 1 [n(n+1)/2]

So the total number of rectangles is [n(n+1)/2](n + n-1) + ... + 3+ 2+1)

or Total = [n(n+1)/2]^2

which, as you mentioned, is the sum of the cubes from 1 to n.

Alan Lipp
alipp@crocker.com