Replies: 196   Last Post: Nov 30, 2003 11:34 PM

me@talmanl1.mscd.edu

Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods

> From: "Paul A. Tanner III" <uprho@yahoo.com>
>
> The line does work. The intentionally created gaps
> that you speak of are created because the students are
> not yet ready for them. The intentionally created gaps
> that I speak of are not of this variety. They are gaps
> within a topic within a subject that are created by a
> discovery/constructivist teacher because this teacher
> believes that it's best to try to get the student to
> fill in these gaps via discovery/constructivism.

In what sense is a student "ready" for a gap he or she can't fill in?

--Lou Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

http://clem.mscd.edu/~talmanl

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/C2XolB/TM

Date Subject Author
11/1/03
Read [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/1/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/1/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Rex Boggs
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/3/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/4/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/4/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/4/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/6/03
Read [math-learn] Teaching circumference and area of a circle
Rex Boggs
11/6/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Teaching circumference and area of a circle
Ed Wall
11/7/03
[...]
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/3/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Ron Ferguson
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Chris
11/6/03
[...]
LAndrews1@aol.com
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Chris
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dennis
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dennis
11/11/03
Read [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
pamkgm7
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dennis
11/11/03
Read [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
pamkgm7
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Amy McNarland
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Ed Wall
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Amy McNarland
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Joye Walker
11/9/03
[...]
11/10/03
Read [math-learn] Equations
Ron Ferguson
11/10/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Chris
11/11/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Equations
John Clement
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Ron Ferguson
11/11/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Equations
Paul A. Tanner III
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
LnMcmullin@aol.com
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Joye Walker
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Ed Wall
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Joye Walker
11/9/03
Read [math-learn] Plastic cubes (was Inquiry vs formal teaching methods)
Ed Wall
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Plastic cubes (was Inquiry vs formal teaching methods)
[...]
ArPeEs@aol.com
11/10/03
[...]
Read [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Ron Ferguson
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Gerald Harnett
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Gerald Harnett
11/13/03
[...]
11/14/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/14/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/20/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Rex Boggs
11/20/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/20/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/20/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/21/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/22/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
pamkgm7
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
pamkgm7
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/24/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/24/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/24/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/24/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/25/03
[...]
11/26/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/26/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/26/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Christopher Gusman
11/27/03
Read [math-learn] Pedagogy and natural ability (was Inquiry method and motivation)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/26/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/26/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/26/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/28/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Zeev Wurman
11/30/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/30/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Zeev Wurman
11/30/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read [math-learn] Falsifiability and real-world testing
Paul A. Tanner III
11/23/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/25/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
pamkgm7
11/25/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Ralph A. Raimi
11/25/03