Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 19, 2003 8:49 AM

Re: [math-learn] Transitive property of equality (was: Manipulatives)

From: Joshua Zucker <joshua.zucker@stanfordalumni.org>

> The definition of equivalence relation, total ordering, and
> so on, don't seem to be to be things that belong in an
> algebra 1 course, or geometry or algebra 2 for that matter.

On the other hand, non-trivial equivalence relations, et al, very much
belong in these courses. Similarity, for example, belongs in a geometry
course. And I submit that there is no reason why we should not observe
that a geometric figure is similar to itself; that whenever figure one is
similar to figure two, then figure two is similar to figure one; and that
whenever figure one is similar to figure two, which in turn is similar to
figure three, then figure one is similar to figure three. I don't much
care whether we call these properties "Reflexivity", "Symmetry" and
"Transitivity", respectively, or not at this level. There is plenty of
time for the official math-speak terms later on.

--Lou Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver