Topic: Algebra Tiles
Replies: 23   Last Post: Feb 12, 2002 6:42 PM

RayM

Re: Calculus in 9th grade and such, was Re: Algebra Tiles

> That's a fact. But is it a fact because you actually need to be older to
> understand calculus, or is it a fact because that is how the curriculum
> currently is?

I strongly believe that it is consequence of curriculum. I was somewhat
disappointed when several listers suggested the topic was inappropriate for
this list. I feel that attitude is similar to one that maximizes current
quarter profits to the extent that the financial health of a company is
damaged or destroyed.

I've taught children as young as 3 to count in binary on their fingers.
I've even done it in Mexico when all I know is uno, dos, quatro, ocho,....
And I knew that those kids would end up working for a few dollars a day
because they don't have access to excellent schools. And I've tried to
teach parents alongside their children. The children are invariably
quicker at it and the parents often give up in frustration. To me it is
crystal clear that the current standards of "developmentally appropriate"
are very inappropriate. Now someone should ask what the utility of
counting in binary is. I personally think it is very helpful to pre-K and
K kids but I see if y'all can figure out why. What does it have to do with
algebra in the 5th grade and calculus in the 9th?

----------
> From: Adam Stinchcombe <stinchcombe@EAC.CC.AZ.US>
> To: mathedcc@mathforum.org
> Subject: RE: Calculus in 9th grade and such, was Re: Algebra Tiles
> Date: Monday, February 11, 2002 08:55
>
> relatively few students are going to be ready for study of calculus, as
> currently conceived, by 9th grade.
>
> That's a fact. But is it a fact because you actually need to be older to
> understand calculus, or is it a fact because that is how the curriculum
> currently is? I decided in high school geometry that the following was a
> theorem: "All mathematics is either easy or impossible." with
> proof/reasoning running like: If it is impossible (literally), then so

be

majordomo@mathforum.org *