Topic: 1. post-calculus 2. amalgamating replies
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
David Epstein

Phillip Kent wrote:
>I have a question which maybe is obvious when you work in a US-style
>curriculum (which I don't).
>
>The fact that this list focusses on post-calculus learning and teaching
>implies that the learning and teaching that is found post-calculus is
>qualitatively and importantly different from that of calculus level??
>
>What are the particular aspects of post-calculus learning, teaching
>and mathematical content which distinguish it from any other level
>of mathematics education (K-12, calculus)?

Like Phillip, I work in the UK. I agree that there are no sharp boundaries
around the subject matter of this mailing list. But some focus is
necessary if one is to have a useful exchange. The boundaries I chose
are those that fit in best with my own working life. There are many
other lists devoted to other (more elementary) aspects of teaching and learning
mathematics, and people can subscribe to them if they want to, or else
they can set up their own lists with a different focus.
is considerable. It is helpful if acronyms like ISETL are expanded the
first time they appear in your contribution. (I know this goes against
my previous request to be brief.)

David Epstein