Topic: "course went well"
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 13, 1997 12:44 PM

Matthias Kawski

"course went well"

As scientists and researchers, we insist on rigorous proofs
throughout our work. Yet when making curricular decisions,
when making statements about the merit of old courses or the
success of new courses, we frequently hear or say:

"... I thought the course went reasonably well ..."

Is there any hope for a culture change that will require
appropriate standards for proofs of success as well? Such
standards of proof likely will be quite different from
those in math and the physical sciences, but to essentially
give no proof at all might even be taken as an insult to
the education and social sciences communities.

Matthias
Matthias Kawski http://math.la.asu.edu/~kawski
Dept. of Mathematics kawski@asu.edu
Arizona State University FAX: (602) 965 0461
Tempe, Arizona 85287-1804 office: (602) 965 3376

My remarks are motivated by Bob Davis' post -- and are in
no way intended to downplay his innovation and contribution.
Indeed I visited the WWW-site, and liked it much!

# Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 05:17:38 -0500 (EST)
# From: "Robert B. Davis" <rdavis@math.rutgers.edu>
# Subject: Jerry Uhl's note
# To: mathedu@msri.org
#
# "problem solving in mathematics" I thought it went vIt followed something
# close to what Jerry describes, and I thought the course went reasonably well.
#
# You can get some idea of it, if you want, because unknown to me one student,
# Lora Pitman, on her own initiative, made a web page in which she discusses
# the course. Address: http://www-eden.rutgers.edu/~pitman
#
# - - Bob Davis
#