Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 15, 1997 11:25 AM

Murphy Waggoner

Re: [MATHEDU] linear algebra through satellite

The problem with classes that only meet every other week (whether satellite
or not) is the lack of contact time in between sessions and the lack of
structure in between sessions. May I suggest that you set up a mailing
list for the class. Require the students to log on, say at least 3 times,
in between each class session. You can post questions to the mailing list
or just have the students have a discussion about the problems and the
text. You can use this as a way to have the students respond to the
readings from the text over the material that you will cover in the NEXT
satellite session. In that way you are sure they are ready for the
material.

Just some thoughts.

Murphy Waggoner

>I have been asked to teach a one-semester introductory linear algebra
>course through satellite. ...The course has 8 3-hour sessions, every two
>weeks.
>The students are
>expected to spend about 5 hours out-of-class time for every session.
>...How would you teach it?

---------------------
M. E. "Murphy" Waggoner
Department of Mathematics
Simpson College
701 North C Street
Indianola, IA 50125
waggoner@storm.simpson.edu

This is an unmoderated distribution list discussing post-calculus teaching
and learning of mathematics. Please keep postings thoughtful and productive.
No cute one-liners please----David.Epstein@warwick.ac.uk

Get guidelines before posting: email majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying
get mathedu guidelines
(Un)subscribe to mathedu(-digest)by email to majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying:
(un)subscribe mathedu(-digest) <type in your email address here>