Topic: Strange Bedfellows
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Dawn Hoyt Kidd

Strange Bedfellows

And...Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote on 4 Feb 1997 13:03:50:
>Not an unreasonable, though erroneous, inference. After all, construction
>is generally done with one's hands, and those hands invariably are ON
>something.
>
>Seriously, though, I have a pretty tough time keeping some of educational
>terminology/jargon straight and doing so is supposed to be part of my job.
>Practitioners in the field might be better off specifically concentrating
>on what they're trying to do, how they're trying to do it, and what the
>effects of what they're doing seem to be, rather than worrying
>about getting the labels straight (gosh, have I just revealed yet another
>of my heretical thoughts?)

>That said, no one has the patent on using manipulatives in classrooms, so
>even Saxon Publishers is free to throw in such tools of Satan.

These comments made me think of a recent visit to a Montessori school,
where I observed a 4th/5th grade classroom. Unfortunately, I did not get
to see a math lesson or activity, but I did notice a shelf of Saxon Math
books.....(along with the other "traditional" Montessori math
manipulatives).

I didn't ask the teachers about it, but what I know about Saxon doesn't
seem to "jive" with what I know about Montessori philosophy. This may be
that I do not know either to any great extreme. Would someone catch me up
on the changes in Saxon material, and would someone take a stab at why a
Montessori school would use Saxon materials?? Thanks!

Dawn Hoyt Kidd
Mathematics Coordinator
Texas School for the Deaf
PO Box 3538