Topic: when should students take algebra? (fwd)
Replies: 5   Last Post: Mar 27, 1997 7:17 AM

Ken Blystone

Re: when should students take algebra? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 16:27:44 -0600 (CST)
From: Ken Blystone <blystone@tenet.edu>
To: "Richard W. Wilson" <rwwilson@artsci.wustl.edu>
Subject: Re: when should students take algebra?

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Richard W. Wilson wrote:

> Hi, I'd be interested in getting a copy of Mouse n Math; where can I find
> it? It is fascinating to see how we are getting younger kids to think
> "function"-ally and otherwise to getting the habits of algebraic thinking
> ingrained sooner that we used to. I am personally still having difficulty
> accepting the "algebra for all" slogan as more that useful propaganda,
> since I teach 8th grade math in the lowest performing middle school in St.
> Louis and find many students that will probably never "be ready" for
> algebra in even a practical, let alone formal sense.

The Mouse-N-Math program was published on a CD-ROM "Info-MAC #8" put out
by Pacific High Tech. I believe it is also available on Stanford's
Info-Mac site. In a few weeks our new IntraNet/InterNet system will be
up and you'll be able to get it there too. Question! Are manipulatives
variables? I guess it depends on which one you pick up :-).

Did you know that 8W + 1R = 2R + 2G You didn't!? Our 1st graders do.

Ken Blystone