Topic: Kappan Articles
Replies: 3   Last Post: Sep 17, 1997 4:42 PM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Kappan Articles

I, for one, would not necessarily object to what Kim suggests. But, it
seems like many so-called Standard-based curricula get criticized for not
'proven' to work empirically and using students as guinea pigs. [Whether
or not that accusation is true is another issue.] I don't know if this
"Japanese" approach is the reason their students do so much better than
ours.

As for the approach Kim suggests, I think the biggest challenge would be
to provide sufficient professional development opportunities for the
teachers. Translation of textbooks and drill books will be simple
enough. But, as Kim probably know very well, Japanese textbooks (and
drill books) are written very concisely and leave quite a bit of room for
the teachers. I don't know how long it would take before a group of
teachers will be ready to start doing this, but without such a
foundation, I don't think this approach is going to be too successful.

Tad Watanabe
Towson University
Towson, Maryland