Topic: What's wrong with...
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 27, 1997 5:55 PM

Tad Watanabe

RE: what's wrong...

On 18 Sep 1997, Ron Ferguson wrote:

> Aside: We may not appreciate how nice the field properties are until
> we encounter operations where they don't apply.

I think this is very important in teaching/learning of mathematics in
general. I wonder how often we give students opportunities to experience
some mathematical properties they 'know' don't work. I think it is a
very powerful experience. I think this is more than talking about
examples and non-examples, although that is also useful.

Tad Watanabe
Towson University
Towson, Maryland