Topic: irrationals
Replies: 25   Last Post: Nov 4, 1997 7:57 PM

Chi-Tien Hsu

RE: irrationals

Picky Physicist says:

Unless you insist that physics problems or engineering problems
are not "real life", I like to say that irrationals are very often used in
"real life" and are playing very important role in providing meaningful
scientific result.

Chi-Tien

----------
From: Harry Sedinger[SMTP:hsed@sbu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 1997 4:33 AM
To: math-teach@forum.swarthmore.edu; Susan Addington
Subject: Re: irrationals

Susan Addington wrote (in part):

"There is also the practical point of view that
in real life you never use irrationals, just rational
approximations.After all, within any small distance from any irrational
there are infinitely many rationals that could be used
to approximate it. This is true no matter how small "small" is.
There is no measuring device that could detect whether
a number is rational or irrational."

and

"I agree: irrationals are very mysterious!"

I also agree. This morning, however, I walked four miles from home to
work in 56 minutes. The interesting thing is that I was an irrational
distance from home 56 minutes and a rational distance from home 0
minutes.

Harry