Karen Dee Michalowicz

Re: Class Size

According to Lutemann@aol.com:
> In a message dated 95-10-11 16:43:22 EDT, kmichalo@pen.k12.va.us (Karen Dee
> Michalowicz) writes:

> > However, if ones style is lecture, maybe one
> >would believe so. There is no way a teacher can manage a class
> >invovled with hands on matherials and with inter-group
> >discussion when they are packed into a room. Even using the
> >ancient Socratic dialogue which we all know is good pedagogy,
> >you cannot do such in a large class. Well you could, but you
> >wouldn't be engaging the whole class.

> I don't believe it. does this mean we agree?
> Kent

My message was anti-"the more the better". That was the reason
I posted. If I were given 40 or 50 students, I would never
use the lecture as my only pedagogy. If fact in my
past teaching of large classes I always put my
students into groups.

Do we really agree?

Karen Dee

Math History Lives!

Karen Dee Michalowicz VQUEST Math Lead Teacher/Trainer
Upper School Mathematics Chair Virginia Quality Education
The Langley School in Sciences and Technology
1411 Balls Hill Rd, McLean, VA
22012 USA
703-356-1920(w) E-Mail: kmichalo@pen.k12.va.us
Fax: (703) 790-9712 --or-- KarenDM@aol.com