Topic: Still looking for curriculum ideas
Replies: 6   Last Post: Feb 2, 2000 3:23 PM

Joan Reinthaler

Re: Still looking for curriculum ideas

Gerald - I have been reading and learning from your postings for quite a
while. They are a breath of common sense and courtesy.
I am a high school teacher who has taught either a fifth or sixth grade
math class for six or seven years. My sense, unfortunately, is that, to
the extent that the "curriculum" is defined by a text book, teachers and
their students will be at the mercy of the swings, fads and political
power-plays of those who have axes to grind about math education. I
believe that what elementary school math education needs is teachers who
are well trained in mathematics and who care as passionately about it as
so many elementary school teachers care about literature. Such teachers
can take any text and any curriculum and enrich it and the students they
teach.
To address your question specifically, I loved using a rather older series
called "MathQuest" - an Addison-Wesley Canadian series in 5th and 6th
grades. This series has a splendid balance of skills and problem solving
materials, encourages kids to estimate all the time ("only do the problems
in the following set whose answers will be greater than 150" for
instance), weaves geometric *thinking* (not merely geometric vocabulary)
through all work, includes "data-base" problems, ones in which there is
not enough information given - students are referred to a "data-base"
index where they look up references to the needed information and are
referred to other pages in the book, teaches kids a whole lot about
Canada, has problems that kids find really interesting (what animal needs
the least sleep of all animals?). No reference to calculators or other
technology - but a knowledgeable teacher can easily bring all sorts of
calculator materials into this otherwise rich mix. But it's not flashy or
new so probably no system would look at it.

Joan Reinthaler
Sidwell Friends School