Topic: NCTM philosophy
Replies: 32   Last Post: Aug 6, 1995 4:41 PM

David Scott Powell

Re: NCTM philosophy

Mikeeee wrote:

>Supporting data for the following was gathered during a project funded by
>the American Psychiatric Professionals Association & Lily-Livered
>Educators and Demons. Copies of the original report are available on a
>need-to-know basis. Leave $5000 in small, unmarked bills in a cardboard
>box, wrapped in plain brown paper, at midnight at the Same Old Place.
>Don't forget to include a postage-paid and addressed envelope.
>
>Here's my latest theory: Dan Hart, Chi-Tien Hsu, Andrei Toom, and Kent
>Lutemann are really the same person. This may be the first certified case
>in psychiatric history of a multiple-choice personality. Through the
>rigorous use of the latest therapeutic techniques, the "Dan" personality
>strand has been excised from the host. The remaining three strands are
>now struggling for control, taking turns trying to outdo one another with
>posts which insult the intelligence, competence, professionalism, learning,
>integrity, ethics, and morality of education professors in general,
>mathematics educators in particular, and include most members of the
>NCTM with strokes from the same tar-dipped brush.
>
>There is no reason to accept an earlier theory by Professor Peter
>Peachfuzz of Whatzamatta U. As you no doubt recall, Professor Peachfuzz
>argued unconvincingly that there were actually four separate individuals
>who had made a bet as to which of them could successfully compose a post
>which simultaneously insulted the largest number of educators while
>straying as far as possible from the poster's areas of knowledge and
>training. The Peachfuzz Hypothesis was refuted dramatically by Marcia
>Brady, a six-year-old student from Gilroy, CA, who showed through the use
>of a four-function calculator, a package of gummi-bears, and a nifty
>assortment of Pogs that it was mathematically impossible for four such
>individuals to occupy the same space-time continuum without causing the
>spontaneous formation of a black hole somewhere near Paducah, KY.
>Brady's Proof led to a major new branch of combinatorics and, of course,
>resulted in a Fields Medal for Ms. Brady.
>
>Although I personally am far too mathematically ignorant to follow Ms.
>Brady's groundbreaking work, several seven-year-olds who were attending
>my step-daughter's birthday party last week assured me that it is "really
>awesome." My son Zane (15 weeks) believes that "this pretty much clears
>up the remaining unsolved Hilbert problems, as well as that damned diaper
>rash I've been struggling with since mid-July."
>
>Based on the assurances of the entire third-grade class of a local
>elementary school (which is a front for the local 'hot calculator'
>business), I have determined conclusively that the Lutemann personality
>is unlikely to survive in the face of mounting pressure from the other
>two facets. Thus, those who had been hoping for a personality fusion
>resulting in a persona that writes passable prose are likely to be
> [...]

My only question is, where they on the grassy knoll in Dallas on that
fatefull day in '63(armed with the latest four function calculators of
coarse. OOOOh, I shiver at the thought:-)

Scott who is part of the NCTM conspiricy to eliminate those Fundies who
stand in our way!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha(evil laugh)

Scott Powell
University of Hawaii
University Labratory School
1776 University Ave.