Topic: NCTM philosophy
Replies: 32   Last Post: Aug 6, 1995 4:41 PM

Norm Krumpe

Re: NCTM philosophy

Chi-Tien Hsu wrote:

>In addition, to teach students some "real world problems" that require
>the skills of complicated calculation ( as norm proposed ) which they
>are not yet able to even visualize in their head is to confuse
>students. In K-4, I do not see any appropriate need of calculator in
>math class that will not be abusive.

Can a second grader visualize 1,375,472 + 3,125,528? Perhaps not. So, by
your argument, we should perhaps avoid confusion and not allow them to work
with such numbers.

Personally, I can't visualize numbers in the trillions, even though the
United States' national debt is among such enormous numbers. Yet, I feel I
can solve problems that deal with these large numbers, without becoming
confused.

Norm Krumpe