Topic: Games for neg #s
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Dawn Hoyt Kidd

Games for neg #s

Jonathan Apostol wrote:
>Why not just try to use basic games, that allow players to go forward or
>backward. Then one can use this forward movement as the postive
>direction, and vice versa.

>I know that there are games, especially for the elementary grades, that
>inadvertantly facilitate positive and negative movement.

>All it takes is just a little use of the games that were created in the
>past to help with the progress of our children's education in the future.

>Aha! Don't forget, HI HO Cherrio(sp.)! That let you put cherries either
>IN the bucket, or back on the tree.

I would like to add another game that could involve negative numbers -
shuffleboard. There is a "10 OFF" spot on the board that requires
subtraction of ten points if your disk lands there. So, depending on your
score, say, if you only had 7 points so far, and you landed on "10 OFF"
then you would have -3 points, and so on.

Just another idea!

Dawn Hoyt Kidd
Mathematics Coordinator
Texas School for the Deaf