Topic: re: I'm out of here
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Lou Talman

re: I'm out of here

Bill Schuth wrote:

> --Much of the reason that this list is becoming a waste of time is due
> to the fact that some readers insist on 3 or 4 postings every day.
> Seems kind of excessive, believing that you can generate over 1000
> ideas every year that the rest of us can't live without.

It seems to me that Bill is espousing the notion that the purpose of a
public list is to provide a place where Very Smart People can post Good
Ideas for the rest of us to read.

At the risk of being "listally incorrect"--I don't think of myself as a
"Very Smart Person", though the following may be a good idea. :-) --I'd
like to observe that there's a fundamentally different point of view
about what a public list is for: It's that a public list is a place to
hold public conversations--which one hopes are at least marginally
consistent with the stated purpose of the list.

Conversations do meander. I'd not expect the thread of a
face(-to-face)^n {n = 1, 2, 3, ...} conversation about the Standards to
hew strictly to the Standards themselves, but to address lots of issues
about education and mathematics--exactly what we see here on this list.
The main difference is asynchronicity: Some of us check in several
times a day, and some of us once or twice a week--or even less
frequently.

I can't have 1000 good ideas every year, but I can have a lot
ideas--mostly bad ones. And conversations on lists like this one help
me sort out the one or two good ones that I do have each year.

Even better: I pick up good ideas that other people've had. There're at
least half a dozen people who write regularly on this list and who're
well worth the pain of...exactly what Bill's complaining about.
There're some peoples' posts tthat I never skip without careful
reading--even when they're in a conversation that I'm not participating
in.

Bill, would you re-evaluate the list with the following question in mind?
When was the last time you had a conversation that you found vitally
interesting and to which you limited yourself to (at most) one statement
every day?

You might find the conversations I'm involved in to be uninteresting,
and that's fine. So start your own! I might wind up reading everything
you write!

--Lou Talman