Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 12:19:07 -0500
From: Jeff Johnson <jeffj@mcrel.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <amte@csd.uwm.edu>
Subject: Re: Modeling and Constructivism

>There are certain things that will never be logically deduced...like Christmas
>>is celebrated on December 25. I think there are informations thta we just
>have >to 'convey' because it cannot be constructed by the knower. But, I need
>think a little more about this.
>
>Tad Watanabe
>Towson State University
>Towson, Maryland

I need to think about this a little more as well...but I think we sometimes
equate constructed knowledge with "discovery". It seems the key to
constructed knowledge is whether or not we "experience" the information in
some way...and if the experiences are meaningful. We remember December 25
because of the memories, emotions, etc. If we simply tell children that
Christmas is on December 25, and do not let them experience it, then they
will forget it just as easily as any other factoid.

"Telling" is one way of conveying knowledge, but I don't think it excludes
or contradicts constructive activity. Even when we *think* we are simply
telling information, knowledge can still be constructed. For instance,
someone may tell me that a circle is the set of points equidistant from a
given point...but as I struggle to make sense out of it (even without
manipulatives :), knowledge can be constructed. Unless the receiver makes
the connection with past experiences and other knowledge, the knowledge
will remain unconstructed (in isolation; meaningless)...no matter how much
multimedia you use. :)

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Johnson jeffj@mcrel.org
Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory http://www.mcrel.org
2550 S. Parker Rd., Suite 500 303-743-5524
Aurora, CO 80014 303-337-3005 (FAX)