Topic: imaginary numbers
Replies: 55   Last Post: Jan 1, 1996 2:34 PM

W Gary Martin

Re: variables and numbers

At 7:57 PM 12/13/95, Janet V Smith wrote:
> To Marc's reply about internship, I readily add middle school and
>elementary school.
>

>On Sun, 10 Dec 1995, Marc Vidulich wrote in response to Andrei Toom:

>> You really would benefit from a "internship" with a high school maths
>> teacher. Quite eye-opening, I would think.

Well folks, the enormity of this exchange is beginning to sink in. "Certain
People" who seemingly have an opinion on everything related to public
education HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE WITH IT! Perhaps such people should
consider the arrogance implied in this.

All of this reminds me of those Monday morning quarterbacks who know
EXACTLY what the running back should have done, what play the quarterback
should have called, what the kicker did wrong, etc etc. As they stand there
with their gut hanging over their belt, and probably couldn't even run
across the room, let alone a football field.

It is so easy to know what is right for OTHER PEOPLE! Having been in the
profession for what seems like a geometrically increasing number of years
(going on 20) in a variety of roles, I can say solutions may sound easy,
but reality is far more complicated. Ask any student teacher, who has a
reduced load and an experienced teacher to fall back on, how easy and
uncomplicated math teaching is.

Gary

PS: The vast majority of the authors of the Standards have ACTUALLY TAUGHT!
Have ACTUALLY SPENT HOURS AND HOURS in mathematics classrooms! Think about
it, Andrei!

W. Gary Martin 1776 University Ave.
University of Hawaii Honolulu, HI 96822
Curriculum R & D Group (808)956-9956; FAX (808)956-4984

Date Subject Author
12/3/95
Read imaginary numbers
Lenny VerMaas
[...]