From: Lynn Stallings <email@example.com> To: firstname.lastname@example.org Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 12:54:29 -0500 Subject: Survey on Math Teacher Use of Technology
I'm studying mathematics teachers' beliefs and practices involving the use of computing technologies and am looking for mathematics teachers to fill out the following fairly short survey.
Thank you for your time and help. Lynn Stallings Mathematics Education Middle/Secondary Education & Instructional Technology Georgia State University Atlanta, GA ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Survey on Teacher Use of Technology
1. Mathematics teaching experience (of any sort): K-12 experiences, math coordinator K-4
2. Years of mathematics teaching experience: 26 years
3. Describe the school where you teach ____ grades (ex. 9-12) ____ location ___x_private or public( k-8) ____other special characteristics of your school
4. I have access to a computer at _x__ home ___ school ___ other (where?)______________
5. I use a computer __x_daily ___weekly ___monthly ___occasionally
6. I use a calculator __x_daily ___weekly ___monthly ___occasionally ___never
COMPUTERS: (Select the appropriate number.)------------------------ 7a. I am _____5_____with ways of using computers personally. 1 2 3 4 5 not very very familiar familiar 7b. I am _______5___with ways of using computers personally. 1 2 3 4 5 not very very confident confident
8a. I am ______5___with ways of using computers to teach mathematics. 1 2 3 4 5 not very very familiar familiar 8b. I am ________5_with ways of using computers to teach mathematics. 1 2 3 4 5 not very very confident confident
CALCULATORS (Select the appropriate number.)------------------------ 9a. I am ____3_____with ways of using calculators personally. 1 2 3 4 5 not very very familiar familiar 9b. I am ___3_____with ways of using calculators personally. 1 2 3 4 5 not very very confident confident
10a. I am ___3_____with ways of using calculators to teach mathematics. 1 2 3 4 5 not very very familiar familiar 10b. I am __________with ways of using calculators to teach mathematics. 1 2 3 4 5 not very very confident confident
11. Do you have any unusual training or work experience involving technology? a few courses for mainstreaming students with multi-media What is it?
12. I am familiar with _x__ spreadsheets ___ dynamic geometry software __x_ CD-ROM __x_ databases ___ algebraic manipulator software ___ graphing calculators _x_ word processing ___ programmable calculators _x__ other math-related software (What is it?) on the Elementary level_Factory, Logo,Blockers and Finders ___ other technology (What is it?)
13. I wouldn't want to teach _____N/A________ (what mathematics topic) without technology_________________ (which technology?).No real computers in my school yet
Complete the sentences in this section with an analogy. Teaching mathematics is like...adding life to children's understanding of the real world
Using a computer is like...seeing more ways of expressing ideas and seeing ideas and reaching more children
Using a computer to teach mathematics is like...adding a special touch and giving more demensions of math never explored before.
I like calculators better than computers because..It is useful for quick answers .
I like computers better than calculators because..of calculators limitations.
One benefit of using computers and calculators in teaching mathematics is...allowing the student to see more real world problems
One disadvantage of using computers and calculators is...dependency on technology and you can't always have it available to you
One other thing you should know about me as a user of technology is that..I am adventerous and have limited use at school because there are few computers and very limited time.
OPTIONAL: Age:__48_____ Ethnic group:_w_________________ Sex:_f____ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I _x__would ___would not be interested in answering further questions via e-mail for this study on teachers' beliefs and practices involving technology in teaching.
Thanks for your time and cooperation. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lynn Stallings email@example.com Georgia State UniversityMiddle/Secondary Education & Instructional Techn