Topic: interactive mathematics
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 6, 1995 3:42 PM

Michelle Manes

Re: interactive mathematics

Subject: interactive mathematics
From: reggie@forum.swarthmore.edu (Reggie Keller) at internet
Date: 6/6/95 10:16 AM

>Hi.. I'm looking for information on an "Interactive Mathematics Program"
>which was piloted by Berkeley High School, Mission High School,Tracy Joint
>Union High School and Eaglecrest High School in California sometime between
>1989-92. Our district ( a suburb of Philly) is investigating a block
>schedule of 75-75-30.
>The 30 would be a six week intensive project based curriculum with
>interdiscinplinary focus. The information packet for parents from
>Eaglecrest High School looks very impressive. I'd appreciate any further
>information from anyone who is familar with the program.

Hi to you.
I would be surprised if no one from IMP reads this group, so you
may get a better response here. But I happen to have this info
in front of me because I just answered the question about early
elementary projects.

IMP is an NSF-funded secondary (9-12) curriculum project. They are
still field-testing the curriculum, so it is not yet available from
a publisher. I'm not sure how they go about picking field test sites,
so if you were interested in becoming one, you would have to contact
them for more info.

My understanding is that IMP is a problem-based curriculum. It is
designed to be used in heterogenous classrooms (I believe they require
this of their field-test sites), and there is a lot of emphasis on
group work. The kids have something like "problem packets." There
is one big problem that is worked on for 2-3 weeks (I'm unsure of
the timeline), with smaller problems along the way that get you
closer to solving the big problem.

Not sure if that makes any sense...

Anyway, teachers I know who have taught IMP *love* it. Unanimously.
I saw one IMP class being taught, and I was frankly underwhelmed.
Disappointed even. But it was really the teacher and the way he
interacted with the students that made it terrible. Good curricula
can be taught badly and vice-versa. So I don't hold that one visit
against the program. My impression: They are strong on problem-solving
and algebra. They are weak on geometry. (If you taught four years
of IMP rather than a standard algebra-geometry-algebra 2-pre-calculus
sequence, you would end up with much less than a full year of geometry.)
The problems look like a lot of fun.

Contact:
Sherry Fraser
Interactive Mathematics Program