Topic: Halmos is Spiraling
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 9, 1995 12:42 PM

Dr. Susan Addington

Re: Halmos is Spiraling

At the college level, spiraling definitely works. BUT
the student has to struggle hard with the idea for several days or
a week. Typically, after the student has moved on, about 3 weeks later,
she can't remember what was so hard about the concept.
Unfortunately, college courses tend to be compressed into 10 or 15
weeks, and summer classes are even worse. So the material at the end
often doesn't get absorbed.

The problem with writing a book this way is that Ch. 1 is very polished
and the last chapter is very rough. I have encountered a lot of math
books like this.

Susan Addington (addington@gallium.csusb.edu)
Math Department, California State University
San Bernardino, CA 92407
World Wide Web: http://www.math.csusb.edu/