Topic: reading numbers
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jun 23, 1995 10:21 PM

Weissenburger - Jeremy S.

Re: length of school day or year

On Fri, 23 Jun 1995, Tad Watanabe wrote:

> I would suggest the book, "The Learning Gap" by Stevenson and Stigler.
> It is a nice readable book comparing the US kids with Japanese and
> Chinese kids. They do address issues outside of school buildings, too.
> Some of their suggestions are very interesting. For example, they
> suggested that teachers may want to negotiate larger classroom size for
> less teaching periods a day so that there may be more time for them to
> plan and reflect together.

I'll have to check.

Out of curiosity, what is the ideal class size in other countries? Isn't
the class size in the US between 10 and 15? I might be wrong, though...

> By the way, there was also an article in the Chronicle of Higher Ed (or
> maybe it was Education News, I can't recall) written by a teacher who
> went to Japan to teach English at their public schools. She wrote about
> how many of Japanese school days were used for things other than
> instruction. One other thing which may be worth noting is that their
> (Japanese) longest break (summer) is about 6 weeks long, which is not
> that much different from the US, is it?

Depending on the school it's a month shorter. Compared to my old
school, it's half as long. They basically have almost 3 months off.

> Anyway, the biggest difference,
> to me, is that it happens during the school year, instead of between
> school years. Therefore, teachers give several assignments, AND, during
> the break there are a few days where students are required to come to
> school. No lessons will be taught, but they just meet for a half day or
> so.

Exactly. At the end of the school year, students start thinking:

"I don't have to think about school for the next 2-3 months."

Some schools give projects for students to do during the summer break. This
is an area to pursue. But the bottom line is that I think the summer
breaks can be shortened by at least a month. I'm not suggesting year-round
schooling, but the break is just too long.

* Jeremy S. Weissenburger Math Teacher, Music Lover *
* *
* CptnApathy@aol.com OR jeremysw@hamlet.umd.edu *
* *
* Currently listening to: Nada, I'm going out the door, bye *