Topic: positive exponents
Replies: 7   Last Post: May 13, 1995 1:20 PM

BenDillon@aol.com

Re: positive exponents

John Forrest wrote:

> The problem I thought I'd run into in the classroom, which has
> NOT occurred, is the confusion of sin^-1(x)---that is, arcsin(x)---with
> 1/sin(x)---that is, csc(x).

Boy, I've run into this! At least a third of my Algebra II Trig students
have asked about this in class. A gentle reminder usually works, but they
wish -1 had not been set up to mean inverse function as well as reciprocal.
And I wonder why as well; there are plenty of other unused symbols. I would
have suggested an upside-down f to stand for f-inverse.

Ben :D
Ben Dillon (bendillon@aol.com)
St. Joe HS, South Bend, IN
"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before
breakfast!"