The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Education » math-teach

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: Symbol name
Replies: 6   Last Post: May 24, 1996 12:44 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Mark Priniski

Posts: 10
Registered: 12/6/04
Re: Symbol name
Posted: May 23, 1996 12:15 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Hi all ---

My father told me that this symbol was called the "gazinta" because you
always said "7 gazinta 35..."


> Yesterday an elementary teacher asked me if I knew the name of
>the symbol used by children to frame a long division problem. She has
>been calling it a "frame" for lack of a better word. Does anyone know
>its name? She stumped me, and I haven't found it in several sources.
>Am I making myself clear as to the symbol I mean? Not the division
>sign nor /, but the symbol akin to a radical sign into which one fits
>the dividend for long division.
> Thanks.
>Carol Williams

Mark Priniski Pioneering Partner '93
Rib Lake High School
Rib Lake, WI 54470

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.