Topic: Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility) (fwd)
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu

Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility) (fwd)

>In a message dated 95-10-11 17:47:45 EDT, wjurasch@carbon.cudenver.edu
>(William A. Juraschek) writes:
>

>>As for teacher preparation, we here at CU-Denver have a preparation
>>program that requires candidates to spend twodays per week in classrooms
>>working with mentor teachers for a semester and then a semester of
>>full-time co-teaching. Our students also have degrees in subjects other
>>than education (No college in Colorado can offer a BA in Education.)
>>The Education faculty in the preparation program spend their mondays in
>>partner schools working with teachers and candidates, in my case I focus
>>on math and science.

>Why can't we get the Standards to recommend a program like this? What is the
>NCTM afraid of?
>
>Kent

Perhaps they are afraid of what happened in California, where
undergraduates wanting to teach also need a "major" outside education; as a
consequence watered-down majors were created.
Judy Roitman, Math, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66049, 913-864-4630