Topic: Standards in other areas
Replies: 3   Last Post: Oct 23, 1995 10:21 AM

Dr. William Tomhave

From: Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
Registered: 12/6/04
Re: Standards in other areas

On Sun, 22 Oct 1995, Murphy Waggoner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I believe that a person teaching secondary methods in mathematics should
> make the existence of the NCTM Standards known to pre-service teachers
> (whether the person teaching the methods course agrees with the philosophy
> of the NCTM or not). I was wondering what other areas have similar
> standards documents. In particular, if a person were teaching secondary
> methods in science what standards should that person be aware of?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Murphy
>
> ---------------------
> Murphy Waggoner
> Department of Mathematics
> Simpson College
> 701 North C Street
> Indianola, IA 50125
> waggoner@storm.simpson.edu
> ---------------------

Last Friday I attended the joint meeting of the Minnesota Council of
Teachers of Mathematics and the Minnesota Science Teachers Association.
At that meeting I acquired a copy of a review draft of National Science
Education Standards (Nov. 1994) published by National Academy Press of
the National Academy of Science. I cannot vouch for the content as I
have not had time to even glance through the 2 cm thick document, but it
clearly exists. I imagine that a final product is planned for the near
future but have no idea of the timeline.

Hope that this is helpful.

Bill Tomhave

* *
* William K. (Bill) Tomhave Phone - 218-299-3923 *
* Mathematics Department FAX - 218-299-3947 *
* Concordia College e-mail - tomhave@gloria.cord.edu *
* Moorhead, Minnesota 56562 *
* *
* *
* As you ramble on through life, my friend, *
* whatever be your goal, *
* Keep your eye upon the donut *
* and not upon the hole. *
* *