Topic: Re: Are humans...(a better way to teach stats?) (fd) (fwd)
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Lutemann@aol.com

Re: Are humans...(a better way to teach stats?) (fd) (fwd)

In a message dated 95-11-20 14:03:29 EST, toom@the-college.iwctx.edu (Andrei
TOOM) writes:

>The trouble with this is frankly that lots of these real-world
>(or "real-world" - I don't think it makes much difference!) problems,
>are, frankly, BORING. As Pat Ballew says, no student is actually
>interested in problems about defective light-bulbs, even though one or two

of
>the people who make light-bulbs might be very interested in the answers.

This is true. Students can be turned on by interesting problems, but
virtually none care if the problem has real world applications. To a 16 year
old, the real world is getting a date, not defective light bulbs.

Kent