Summary- student responsibility part 4 fin

Date: Sat, 07 Oct 1995 20:46:00 -0400
From: Suzy M Hill <SuzyMHill@AOL.COM>
Sender: Teaching in the Community Colleges <TCCL@UHCCVM.ITS.HAWAII.EDU>

In Geography classes I use an "Extra Credit" carrot of up-to 20 points
added on to any test grade. These are earned by attending 'International
Functions' (we have a lot of them here) and talking or eating from the various
nations involved. A brief report of 25+ words describing what they have
learned. Amount of credit depends upon where they go, how involved they get.
Usually 2-5 points per activity.

In graduate classes I often let the students write the test questions. After I
havesorted them out I pass out a copy of all the questions and use them for
essay test questions. They sometimes come up with a different insight than I
have to a particular topic. I might add they come up with harder questions than
I do!
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 1995 10:14:33 +0800
From: C.Thomson@unsw.edu.au (Chihiro Kinoshita Thomson)
Sender: cl@jaring.my

Hope this might help:
I've written an article a while ago on this topic:
"Learner-Centered Tasks in the Foreign Language Classroom" FOREIGN LANGUAGE
ANNALS pp523-531, Vol 25 No 6, 1992.

The article esentially deals with a series of classroom tasks where the learners
becomes the planners of the learning tasks and providers of the learning input,
under the theoretical framework of self-directed learning.
Chihiro Kinoshita Thomson Director of Language Studies
School of Asian Business and Language Studies
University of New South Wales Sydney NSW 2052 Australia
Telephone +61 2 385 5849 Facsimile +61 2 313 6775
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 18:19:07 +0800
From: siowck@slgan.pc.my (Gan Siowck Lee)
Sender: cl@jaring.my
I read with great interest Ted's recent posting on how he made his
students took responsibilities for their own learning. His method
seems to work beautifully! Thanks Ted, for sharing your experience
with us.

I would like to stimulate further discussion by posing a few
questions. Please bear in mind that I am not a math instructor and I
have no knowledge what Intermediate Algebra entails in the US
community colleges. I have, however, used the cooperative technique
of one-stray-three-stay and some variations of it in helping student
teachers and in-service teachers learn and teach certain topics in
instructional methods. My questions, related to what Ted has

>To help the process along I suggested that each table of students
>(4-6 at a hexagonal table) be responsible for teaching one subsection >of the

chapter for the class. They "agreed" to try this approach.We >spent two days
working on the material in class. A few groups did >some work out of class in
the math lab where they work as a study >groups normally.
I am not sure if these subsections are sequential. In other words, is the
mastery of the previous subsection a prerequisite for the learning/teaching of
the following subsection. If yes, how do you circumvent this problem? Does it
mean that everyone has to work on or learn the whole chapter before they pick
one subsection to teach?

>I asked for volunteers to start and two students offered to go first to end
their ordeal quickly so they wouldn't have to sit in class a get more nervous.

This seems to work for me in the one-stray-three-stay technique I
used, as the subsections are not sequential. Would it be a problem
if the subsections in a math chapter are somewhat related and
sequential? How do you overcome this problem if it exists?

>There were 4 grades between 75-80 and the rest were above 90. >The evening
class of 27 had even better results.
I am really impressed with such good results. This is evidence
that students learn better when they teach. In fact, I would venture
to conclude that this is a great approach for mastery learning.

siowck@slgan.pc.my
http://pjj.ccrisc.upm.my/users/siowck/gan.html
siowck@slgan.pc.my
http://pjj.ccrisc.upm.my/users/gan.html
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:42:31 +0800
From: C.Thomson@unsw.edu.au (Chihiro Kinoshita Thomson)
Subject: Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Sender: cl@jaring.my

Hi Hyacinth,

You brought up an interesting and challenging problem we all seem to face. There
are always some learners who are not comfortable with what we try to do. This
problem is not limited to cooperative learning or self-directed learning but is
true with anything new. In the area of foreign and second language teaching,
mismatch of teacher approach (communicative language teaching) and learner
preference (grammar, audio-lingual or traditional) has been much talked about.
All learners come with previous learning experiences and predetermined ideas
about what teaching should be. The degree of determination of course varies
among leaners. The problem is often more serious with adult learners who come
with more previous
experiences. Areas like self-directed/autonomous learning which I deal with have
real difficulties with learners with certain cultural backgrounds.
One way to 'convert' such learners is to let them have a small success with
the new approach. A big change may receive a flat rejection. We need to start
small. For adult learners reasoning seems to work better. You explain to the
learner your rational behind what you do, your goal in doing so and the outcome
you expect. If the learner agrees with your reasoning, invite him/her to
participate in the new approach. I always explain my rational for doing certain
tasks to my tertiary learners. They seem to appreciate it. It is also a good
training for my learners to place a learning task in a big picture, as they are
on their way to be autonomous learners.

What you have done appears to have worked rather well as you had success with 11
students out of 12. We cannot always expect a perfect record. We can strive for
it and I am sure that's what you are doing and that's why you are frustrated. It
also seems to me that there are certain people who need time to accept a new
concept. I've had experiences that students orcolleagues who disagreed or
rejected my approach when I first introduced it to them, but came back after
they graduated, after two, three years, and told me that they are rady to accept
what I talked about then.

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:15:16 +0800
From: siowck@slgan.pc.my (Gan Siowck Lee)
Sender: cl@jaring.my

As a follow-up to Hyacinth's and Keng Boons' messages:
>However, there may be some teachers who just made the wrong career choice.

I have made similar observations. There are student teachers who are not willing
to cooperate or change simply because they are not
interested in teaching or learning to teach! Sometimes it's not
that they have made the wrong career choice - they just take the
teaching profession as the last resort. It's sad but it's true.:
++++++++++++++n oum foLearning sistancePfeionl <LRNASST@listserv.Arizona.EDU>

This is in response to "TPANITZ"'s message about getting students to take
responsibility for their own learning. These are ideas I've used; I'd like to
hear others....

Getting students to take responsibility for their own learning is the biggest 1. During class "troubleshooting" discussions and during individual
conferences, I turn questions back on them. During class, I often begin with
something like, "What problems are you having with notetaking?" and then, when a
student mentions a problem, I ask the class, "OK, what can she do about that?"
Oftentimes, they class comes up with more varied and interesting responses than
I comight be more likely to actually try he idea In coerce, te samething -- only there, I can work with the student to expand his repertoir of
possible actions. After we have come up with a verbal list of possible
solutions, I run through it again to highlight that
there are LOTS of possible solutions, and that the choice is his about which to
try.

2. That leads to a second method I use: the "menu" approach. Whenever we are
talking about a problem area/skill (e.g. time management, notetaking, txbk
usage...), I make sure that there are a VARIETY of suggested activities to
strengthen the skill. I may have them practice a particular solution in class
or for homework, but through their readings and class discussion they should
pick up that if one thing doesn't work, there is something else to try. The
working assumption is that everyone is different, and what works for you may not
work for me. So the TECHNIQUE is not bad, the FIT is.

3. A third way I encourage personal responsibility is through reading
quizzes. I told the students at the beginning of class that there would be
occasional quizzes, and that they would work this way: They would come into
class, I would say "take out a piece of paper and write down the two (or three)
best ideas you found in the readings for today, and how you might use those
ideas." But I also tell them at the beginning of the semester how to ace these
quizzes. While they read, I tell them, mark the ideas they like. Maybe even
write them on a piece of paper. That will help them remember them,
in case there is a quiz. (Of course, it will also increase the chance that
they will remember the idea and TRY it. And it gets them doing textbook marking
and notetaking before we even talk about those techniques!)

4. A fourth way I encourage responsibility is by keeping my evaluation out of
the picture as much as possible. In my experience, the more I graded students
to try to motivate them, the less motivated they became. So I try to trust
them, and trust my assignments and activities. I cannot be SURE that the
students are learning what I want them to learn. But if I design good
activities, I can be reasonably certain that they've learned something. Instead
of looking for a particular product (e.g. Cornell notes done just so, or a time
schedule filled in a particular way), I look at what they produce and try to see
what they've learned and how they are thinking, and
what we might still need to work on. I let them guide me.

Ultimately, we cannot change a student's locus of control. But we can use
techniques and language which gives them FREEDOM TO CHOOSE behaviors, and
opportunities to EVALUATE the success of those behaviors THEMSELVES.

Mary Beth Foster
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 19:16:48 -0400
From: YH25482@swt.edu
Subject: getting students to be responsible
Sender: aednet@pulsar.acast.nova.edu

I have come across a good article on students taking responsibility by Charles
S.Bacon (The Clearing House, vol.64 p.395-398). The article differentiates
holding students responsible and making students responsible. When student is
being held responsible, the teacher will have to maintain the whatever influence
or power to make him/her responsible. One the other hand, for someone
who is able to be responsible, there is no need to provide support for that
individual to fulfill his responsiblities. The former is more extirinsic and the
latter, intrinsic. It would be more beneficial for teachers to promote
environments that encourages students to be more responsible than to hold
students responsible for learning activities. Just another viewpoint of this
discussion from Bacon (1991).
YewHar Ho Graduate Student yh25482
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 12:43:07 -0500
From: Wendy Crebbin <WCREBBIN@fs3.ballarat.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Student responsibility
Sender: imsacpbl-l@imsa.edu

Dear Ted
I agree that the learn-to-teach approach is a very effective way of
encourageing student responsibility. It also requires students to
approach their learning in a deeper, more metacognitive way (unlike some other
approaches) and provides the students with a PURPOSE
FOR LEARNING.

Another approach which I use with my Graduate Diploma of Education students is a
process where, within the first weeks of their course my students are placed in
learning environments where they each, individually and with a partner, have to
teach groups of young learners. These experiences are followed up, in groups of
about 15, with extended discussions in which the content is entirely based upon
their description (oral or video) of their interactions with the learners and
THEIR QUESTIONS arising out of those experiences.

In this way the course is set up so that it is my students own question, issues,
problems and concerns which become the content of learning.

Although it is the students' own NEED TO KNOW which drives the pace and
direction of the course I have found over the years that I need have no
concerns that the issues which I might have included in a pre-set course will
not be covered. Or that they will not be covered in depth.

What it does mean is that as the teacher I need to have a
sufficiently global view of the program that I can provide students
with access to the sorts of information they need, when they need it,
and, at the same time, maintain a process of continually drawing the
threads together to ensure continuety and direction.I have also found that this
process is greatly enhanced through students maintaining their own journals
about their questions, plus their own self evaluation profiles. (more
information avialable on these if required)

Wendy Crebbin School of Education University of Ballarat
wcrebbin@fs3.ballarat.edu.au
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 10:34:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randolph Hollingsworth <RHOLL00@UKCC.UKY.EDU>
Subject: Learning Groups and Group Learning
Sender: Teaching in the Community Colleges <TCC-

In a 100-level early European survey history course, students must simply KNOW
certain historical terms for their essay exam. I have traditionally tested
their knowledge base with short answer Identification (who-where-
when-what-historical signicance) as 30-40% of the exam. This year I used
collaborative learning techniques in class (including 20% of their grade for
producing 3 terms per chapter with answers that I would comment on and put in
the class notebook on reserve in the library so the whole class could see each
group's work). For their exam, the group would answer the short ID terms, then
break up to write individual essay. The trick that I found made the groups
accountable -- and the students thought this was fair, too -- was that the essay
must include appropriate group-
chosen terms (I listed them all, per chapter, under the essay question
part of the exam). I deducted points from the individual essay
that did not include a class-chosen ID which would have enhanced the answer. In
other words, everybody had to know the terms -- they couldn't just farm out
individual terms and remain blithely ignorant of what their team member was
doing. It was fun for me to watch them studying for the exam and critically
analyze their peers' own answers and argue about why I graded some answers
tougher than others. It livened up a usually dreary list of "stuff" from their
perspective, and from my perspective I had higher quality essays -- and a
cut-and-dry way to grade their use of historical terms!

* Randolph Hollingsworth Associate Professor of History
Lexington Community College Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0235 (606)
257-3635 FAX (606) 257-4339 rholl00@ukcc.uky.edu
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Date: Tue,
24 Oct 1995 05:59:09 +0800 (MYT)
From: JBORNSTEIN@aol.com
Subject: Encourage Responsibility via Goal Setting
Sender: cl@jaring.my

Without getting too deep into the strand here, I offer some thoughts on student
responsibility. Cooperative Learning itself has not been the key, although I
use it extensively. More successful has been a goal setting technique built
around one-on-one conferences. Once I have had a chance to assess students
initially (in my setting, after about 6 weeks), I present them with samples of
competent end-of-year work. A week later, we hold a conference (with parents,
as this
is an elementary school), during which we go through the following agenda.
First, my assessment. Second, the student self-assesses and/or validates my
assessment. Third, with the end-of-year competencies in mind, we set long range
goals. Finally, we set mid-range goals for the next ten weeks.
Weekly conferences (1/2 hour) in at least one curriculum area help to develop
short range goals. We meet again ten weeks later. At that time, students
present work from a portfolio. Their samples (chosen in negotiation with me)
should represent either excellence, improvement, or both. Again, we set
mid-range goals (ten weeks). One more conference is held in ten weeks.
Summative evaluations at
the end of the year include assessments by me and the students.
This process seems to encourage great responsibility and motivation on the part
of otherwise disenfranchised students. Furthermore, the constant assessment
talk develops a metacognitive vocabulary and awareness among the students that
is crucial.
Hope this is helpful.
Josh Bornstein,
Ithaca, NY, USA