Topic: Convergent or Divergent series???
Replies: 23   Last Post: Jun 13, 2010 8:20 PM

Peter Percival

Re: Convergent or Divergent series???

Bill Taylor wrote:
[entire post chopped!]

> Physics confines itself to that thin sliver of reality
> that can be accurately quantified. - John Baez

Just how accurately do physicists quantify anything? The chief accountant of a
bank could know to the nearest penny how much money was in the bank. How does
that compare to the accuracy with which a physicist can measure the mass of, say,
a shoe? If John is right, is it a warning to other sciences *not* to try to hard
to emulate physics for fear of limiting their scope to much? Am I right in my
belief that far too many people wrongly think that something can only be
understood if a number can be attached to it?

Note that this is not a criticism of either BT or JB, I'm just bored....