Topic: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 19, 2000 2:26 AM

don mcdonald

Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Michael Press wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:25:31 -0700
> From: Michael Press <prezky@apple.com>
> Newsgroups: sci.math, nz.general, rec.puzzles
> Subject: Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
>
> In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.1000522175011.4577A-100000@localhost>, Don McDonald
> [...]

> > New Zealand lotto is 40_choose_6 game. Six lucky nos.
> > are drawn without replacement from 1 to 40. 10/. What
> > is the expected lowest numbered ball this week in the
> > lucky 6? nzsm May 1993.
> >
> > unfortunately i have not studied queuing theory.

> [...]
>
> 41/7
> No queuing theory necessary. The probability that the
> smallest number is k is proportional to a binomial coefficient.
> The sum involved in the expectation value is evaluated
> with simple transforms, and the formula
> SUM{0 <= j <= n} Choose (j, m) = Choose (n+1, m+1).
> Want more?

Thanks Michael,
what is expected range of L balls from 1 .. N.

new zealand science monthly May 1993.

(N+1)(1-2/(L+1)).

is this correct?

> Number of possible outcomes of the drawings = N = Choose (40, 6).
> Probability that the least number is k = p_k = Choose (40 - k, 5) / N.
> Why?
>
> Expectation value

[snip for brevity, but i need to study.]

> = 41/7

=?? (N+1) / (L+1). ??
is this correct.?

possible argument about beads on a necklace.

> Michael Press

cheers

/ don. (M) (loto, ANZbank ATM invisible, nz post prev. occupant unclaimed)
--
don.mcdonald | ask me about my maths /// lot-to-it |
millennium 57*60^3 = 12/31/2000. | call Mindr/ RECord hit # hash

Date Subject Author
5/22/00
Read why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
don mcdonald
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Evad Rehtona
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jens Brix Christiansen
5/24/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Charles Bryant
5/24/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Bob Tiernan
5/24/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jeff Kurland
5/24/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
John Haggerty
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Bob Tiernan
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jeff Kurland
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Marc VanHeyningen
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Evad Rehtona
5/27/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Uncle Mort
5/28/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
fred klein
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jonathan Dushoff
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rich Grise
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
greg byshenk
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
fred klein
5/31/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Marc VanHeyningen
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
fred klein
6/10/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Charlie Thorne
6/11/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Marc VanHeyningen
6/14/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
fred klein
6/19/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
greg byshenk
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter
5/31/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Cyrek the Illogical
5/31/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Robin Payne
6/1/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Cyrek the Illogical
6/4/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Kragh Pedersen
6/4/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rich Grise
6/4/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Andrew Price
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
foo@bar.com
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
FinalJustyce
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
foo@bar.com
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
FinalJustyce
6/8/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rich Grise
6/10/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rebecca Macann's News
6/11/00
Read [OT] (was: Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?)
Kragh Pedersen
6/11/00
Read Re: [OT] (was: Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?)
Matthew T. Russotto
6/13/00
[...]
6/12/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rich Grise
6/8/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Magnus Homann
6/4/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Kragh Pedersen
6/5/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Laurence Bogle
6/11/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Aidan Stanger
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Bill
5/27/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rebecca Macann's News
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Harpo
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Roy Everett Still no BOAT account!!
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jason Rumney
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Brian M. Harmer
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
gerson
5/23/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
don mcdonald
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
James Lawry
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
watwinc
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Michael Press
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
don mcdonald
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Michael Press
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter Percival
5/27/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
James Lawry
5/30/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
don mcdonald
5/30/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s?
G Swaine