The Math Forum

Topic: Studies on stock price variations ?
Replies: 13   Last Post: Jul 14, 2000 4:12 PM

Jim Gillogly

Re: Studies on stock price variations ?

Niklas Dougherty wrote:
> self-regulating dips which to be aware of. Invest after a substantial dip,
> spread your risks, and cash in well before next major dip; that's the only
> way to guarantee to a certain factor that you will come out a winner.

Cashing in at the right time is the challenging part. It's hard to
predict a major dip in advance unless you caused it yourself. Who'd have
guessed the Fed would let Greenspan out to talk to different groups
for five days in a row? If you know his schedule in advance you can
sell out, but until you get well into the run it's hard to predict
that they'd let it happen AGAIN TOMORROW! Or that woman in New York
who decided that tech stocks in general were overvalued last March.
Thanks, lady! I'll bet <her> clients ended up happy! Abby something?
(Yes, I know the line from Young Frankenstein.)

Buy good stuff and hold long-term. Ignore fluctuations. Sleep well.
Don't try to use two-pass algorithms in a one-pass world.

--
Jim Gillogly
Highday, 20 Afterlithe S.R. 2000, 02:09