Topic: pi in Kansas
Replies: 8   Last Post: Aug 3, 2000 5:07 PM

John Savard

Re: pi in Kansas

On 29 Jul 2000 23:28:18 -0400, Allan Adler <ara@nestle.ai.mit.edu>
wrote, in part:

>Nightline showed a portion of an interview with her opponent, who
>is also a woman. The challenger said that she was present at a meeting
>of the school board in which the members spent an hour discussing whether
>to remove the teaching of pi from the curriculum on the grounds that
>it is not an exact number.

Since she is a candidate for an election, if indeed she can be shown
to have stated a falsehood, her opponents would seize upon the
opportunity to do so.

Thus, although this sounds like an "urban legend" that might have
grown out of a satire on the removal of evolution (and the Big Bang)
from the required things to be taught in that state, I fear that, if
you actually did hear this on Nightline, there is a very real chance
of its being true.

And we thought the Pythagoreans were hopelessly silly to be worried by
the diagonals of squares...

John Savard (teneerf <-)
Now Available! The Secret of the Web's Most Overused Style of Frames!
http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/frhome.htm