Topic: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Replies: 65   Last Post: Jun 10, 2003 11:53 PM

Earle Jones

Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??

In article <200306091745.h59HjnQ42936@mickey.empros.com>,
Michael Stemper <mstemper@siemens-emis.com> wrote:

> In article <63e9575b.0306051414.36fb18bc@posting.google.com>,
> jason@thinkingman.org (Jason) writes:

> >Randy --
> >
> >This will be my last reply to you and this topic.
> >
> >Pi or Sqrt of 2 are irrationals (agreed, never said they weren't.)
> >Never changed the rules on anything. I was given a problem, and I
> >solved it -- I look at problems in very different ways than
> >(apparently) you and your degree do, hence, I am able to solve some
> >very complex computer / programming problems,

> Of course, computer programming is different from math. You probably
> know more than Mr./Dr. Poe does about programming. Is it possible that
> he might be more knowledgeable than you are about math, since it's how
> he makes his living? (Not proof, certainly, but a possibility.)
>

> >Sony pays me about 250k per year to do so --
>
> I'm sure that we are all very happy to hear about your income.
>

> >Irrationals are not defined;
>
> Yes they are. Try googling on "Dedekind cut".
>

> > for example, there is no complete number
> >that is Pi,

> Yes, there is. It's the limit of an infinite series.
>

> > only (apparently) infinite iterations of the number;
>
> Numbers don't "iterate", algorithms do. Any programmer knows this.
>

> > hence
> >the term "irrational."

> The term "irrational" means "not rational", which means "cannot be
> expressed as the ratio of two integers.
>

> >W=12345 is defined, we know what W *IS*. No one knows what Pi really
> >*IS*,

> Most people who've passed high school math know what it is....

*
Of course we know what pi is:

It's the ratio of log(-1) to sqrt(-1).

(credit to Augustus de Morgan (1806 - 1871))

earle
*

Date Subject Author
6/1/03
Read Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ?? -- typo fixed
Jason Caldwell
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
C. BOND
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
C. BOND
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Stan Brown
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/2/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Stan Brown
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
G.E. Ivey
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Robert Israel
6/1/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
The Ghost In The Machine
6/2/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/2/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Randy Poe
6/2/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/2/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
karl malbrain
6/2/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Gerry Myerson
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Gerry Myerson
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Gerry Myerson
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/4/03
[...]
6/8/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
The Ghost In The Machine
6/10/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/10/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
karl malbrain
6/10/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Dave Rusin
6/4/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Randy Poe
6/4/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/4/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Randy Poe
6/5/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Randy Poe
6/5/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
David Bernier
6/5/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/8/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Randy Poe
6/9/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
David C. Ullrich
6/9/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Randy Poe
6/8/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
David Bernier
6/8/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Robert Israel
6/9/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Randy Poe
6/9/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
karl malbrain
6/9/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Michael Stemper
6/10/03
[...]
Peter Webb
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Randy Poe
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
The Ghost In The Machine
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Jason Caldwell
6/3/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
George Cox
6/4/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
The Ghost In The Machine
6/2/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
anonymous
6/5/03
Read Re: Combined Number Extraction -- ??
Robert Kolker