See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
order of operations
3D and higher
Browse Elementary Addition
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Flashcards/worksheets on the Web.
Order of operations.
What is 1+1?
- Adding Numbers in the 100s [7/31/1996]
How do you add 500 + 995?
- Adding pets [11/18/1994]
I have three 2nd grade students in my Special Class Math group. Jacob has
2 hermit crabs. Mellisa has 2 bunnies, 2 dogs, 1 gerbil, 1 guinea pig, 5
parakeets, and 1 cat. Laura has 2 fish. (Now the tough part.) How many
animals do they have all together?
- Adding Six-digit Numbers [12/23/1996]
How do you find the answer to 100,234 + 678,123?
- Adding Three Digit Numbers [11/2/1994]
A first-grader asks for suggestions for figuring out how to add 200 +
1000, and for adding things with seven (8+7, 7+9).
- Associative, Distributive Properties [9/5/1996]
Please explain the associative and distributive properties.
- Basic Real Number Properties [07/31/1997]
I need information about basic real number properties: associative,
commutative, closure, identity, inverse, distributive.
- Distributive Property, Illustrated [09/28/2001]
How can I show (12*2) + (12*3) using the distributive property?
- Explaining Addition [01/25/1997]
What is the answer to 6 + 2?
- Hitting the Ball [03/11/1997]
Katie hit the ball 742 times on Monday, 267 times on Tuesday, and 847
times on Wednesday. How many times did she hit the ball in three days?
- Manipulating Positive and Negative Numbers [8/9/1996]
Could you explain the rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and
dividing positive and negative numbers?
- Multiples of 9 Number Puzzle [03/23/2003]
If you take a two-digit number, add the digits, and subtract the sum
from the original number, why is the answer always a multiple of 9?
- Order Of Operations in Four Steps [02/15/1998]
I need help figuring out what operation to do first.
- Plotting Coordinates on a Graph [07/02/1999]
How can I solve a problem like 3+(-2) = ? using a number line, and how
can I plot coordinates like (-4,3) on an X-Y graph?
- Properties of Real Numbers [05/20/1997]
What are the associative, the commutative, and the zero product
- Signs: Rules, Number Line [07/13/2001]
What is (-) - (+) = ? or (+) + (-) = ?
- Sum of Odd Numbers 1-50? [10/10/2001]
What is the sum of the first 50 odd numbers?
- Tips for Negative and Positive Numbers [11/30/2001]
I really get confused when adding a negative and a positive.
- Tricks for Learning Addition [08/17/1998]
Shortcuts to avoid having to count too far on your fingers.
- Using Parentheses [11/16/1998]
Can you explain how to use parentheses to tell the order of operations?
- Working with Integers [01/12/1999]
Could you explain how to divide, multiply, add, and subtract integers?
- 1 + 1 [6/20/1996]
Does 1+1 make 2 or 11?
- 3rd Grade addition problem [11/16/1994]
What is 845+904?
- Adding 1000 and 100 [11/23/1997]
I am really wondering how to add 1000 + 100...
- Adding and Subtracting Integers [12/31/1997]
Adding and subtracting integers like 12 + (-4) = ...
- Adding and Subtracting Integers [5/29/1996]
Could you please help me understand about adding and subtracting
- Adding and Subtracting Measurements [08/13/1998]
How do you add and subtract measurements like 4'7" + 2'10" and 11'6" -
- Adding and Subtracting Negative Numbers [02/07/2002]
What is (-1) - 5 + -8 equal to?
- Adding an Even and an Odd Number [03/26/2003]
Can you think of any two numbers, one even and the other odd, whose
sum is even?
- Adding big numbers [12/6/1994]
What is 9,000,000,000,664,556,666,134,852,855,288 +
- Adding Four 3-Digit Numbers [08/13/1998]
How do I add: 457 + 458 + 954 + 958?
- Adding Fractions [05/21/2002]
How do you add fractions?
- Adding Fractions [01/06/2003]
My problem is 3/4 + 1/6. The common denominator is 12 but it says to
build up my numerator to 9/12 + 2/12 = 11/12. I don't understand how
they get 9 and 2 for numerators.
- Adding Fractions [01/13/2003]
2/25 + 2/15 equals what?
- Adding Hours and Minutes [01/11/1997]
What time is it 2 hours and 55 minutes after 8:50 A.M.?
- Adding Large Numbers on Calculators [6/27/1996]
What do you do when you want to add two big numbers, but they are too big
to fit on the calculator screen?
- Adding Left to Right [4/5/1996]
I need help understanding how to add from left to right rather than the
right-to-left method my children have been learning in school.
- Adding Left to Right [05/20/2003]
When I was in school, we were taught to add numbers from right to
left. Now my daughter's teacher is teaching her to add left to right.
How can I help her to understand both ways?
- Adding Negatives [12/04/1997]
What is -2 - 7/10 ? Is it -1 3/10 or -2 7/10?
- Adding Odd Numbers [02/22/2002]
Why do you get an even number when adding odd numbers?
- Adding Positive and Negative Numbers [05/15/2002]
If I add a positive number and a negative number, will the result be
positive, negative, or zero?