See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
3D and higher
Browse Elementary Fractions &
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
Selected answers to common questions:
Adding and subtracting fractions.
Finding a least common denominator (LCD).
Comparing/ordering fractions; equivalent fractions.
Improper fractions and mixed numbers.
Converting fractions to/from decimals.
Rounding fractions and decimals.
Fractions and repeating decimals.
- 33 1/3 Percent as a Fraction [08/03/2003]
I need help turning percents like 33 1/3%, 2.5%, and other percents
like that into fractions.
- (9/2)/(3/4): A Picture [03/27/2003]
We were trying to find a division fraction question and everything we
came up with turned into a multiplication fraction problem. Why is
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions [10/25/1999]
Can you help me learn to add and subtract fractions?
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions [03/05/2002]
Why don't we add or subtract the denominators?
- Adding Decimals [05/26/1998]
I can't figure this out: 894.56 + 4563.5 = ?
- Adding Fractions [08/13/1997]
Sally ate 1/8 of a cake and her sister ate 3/8 of it. What fraction did
they eat altogether?
- Adding Fractions [01/06/2003]
My problem is 3/4 + 1/6. The common denominator is 12 but it says to
build up my numerator to 9/12 + 2/12 = 11/12. I don't understand how
they get 9 and 2 for numerators.
- Adding Mixed Numbers [04/13/1999]
How do you add mixed numbers without renaming?
- Adding, Subtracting, Multiplying, Dividing Fractions [6/7/1996]
I am ten years old and I don't understand lower-term fractions.
- Cancelling Fractions [03/06/2002]
How do I cancel this problem: 1/5 x 40/1 x 1/2 ?
- Changing Decimals to Fractions and Reducing [12/12/2002]
Could you please help me to understand, in the simplest way, how to
write a decimal as a lowest-term fraction or mixed number?
- Comparing Fractions [08/04/1999]
How do you place fractions in descending or ascending order?
- Comparing Fraction Size: Two Methods [10/24/2001]
What fraction is greatest, 5/13, 2/5, or 7/15?
- Congruent Fractions [04/03/1997]
What are congruent fractions?
- Converting a Long Decimal to a Fraction [04/11/2002]
If I have 74/13 and I want to reduce it to a mixed number, when I
divide 74 by 13 I get a long mixed decimal, 5.6923076. How do I get
from 5.6923076 to 5 9/13?
- Converting Fractions to Decimals [01/08/1997]
How do you convert fractions to decimals? How do you turn decimals into
- Converting Fractions to/from Mixed Numbers [07/21/1997]
How do you change a fraction to a mixed number in simplest form (for
example 9/5)? or a mixed number to an improper fraction (like 3 1/16)?
- Converting Mixed Numbers to/from Improper Fractions [10/28/2001]
How can I change mixed numbers like 1 3/4 into improper fractions, and
improper fractions like 7/5 into mixed numbers?
- Cross-Multiplication [08/04/2002]
Can you explain cross-multiplication?
- Demonstrating Equivalent Fractions [10/25/2000]
How can my 5th grade daughter demonstrate equivalent fractions to her
- Diagram Showing Division of Fractions [01/13/2002]
I understand how to divide fractions, but would like to be able to draw
this problem in a diagram: (2/3)/(3/4) = 8/9.
- Divide by a Fraction [03/19/1997]
How do you divide a whole number by a fraction?
- Dividing a Fraction by a Fraction [08/11/1997]
Can you help students visualize a problem such as: 1/3 / 1/2 = 2/3 ?
- Dividing a Whole Number by a Fraction [04/02/1997]
How do you divide a whole number by a fraction?
- Dividing by a Fraction [06/29/1999]
Why is it that when you divide by a fraction, your answer is larger?
- Dividing Decimals by Whole Numbers [10/19/2002]
Dividing decimals has been hard for me to learn.
- Dividing Fractions [09/08/99]
How do you divide fractions?
- Dividing Fractions to find Decimals [03/12/2001]
Why does dividing the numerator by the denominator give you the decimal
form of a fraction?
- Division [11/25/1997]
How do you divide 1,000,000,000,000 by 999,999,999,999,999,999,999?
- Draw Three Parts and Shade Two [04/12/2001]
When I draw three parts and shade two of them, what is the name of the
fraction I've shaded?
- Explaining Division of Fractions [08/11/1999]
Can you give a practical explanation of why the 'invert-and-multiply'
rule for division of fractions works?
- Finding Decimals on a Number Line [01/16/2002]
How can I find a number like 0.725 on a number line?
- A Fraction and a Prime Number Question [2/9/1995]
An elementary student asks questions about fractions and prime numbers.
- Fraction Bar Name [12/14/1996]
What is the name of the little line that separates the divisor from the
dividend in a standard division question?
- Fraction Basics [7/21/1996]
I don't understand how to do fractions.
- Fraction Diagrams [03/13/2002]
In an adult condominium complex, 2/3 of the men are married to 3/5 of the
women. What fraction of the residents are married?
- Fraction Multiplication and Division [02/10/2001]
How do you do calculations like 2 1/10 * 7 5/8 or 27/30 over 75/100?
- Fractions, Improper Fractions, Mixed Numbers [02/01/1997]
How do you turn an improper fraction into a mixed number?
- Fractions in Simplest Form [01/15/1998]
How would you write 99/6 in simplest form?
- Fractions in the SI System? [11/07/2001]
When using metric can 4 cm and 5 mm be written as 4 1/2 mm?