See also the
Dr. Math FAQ:
Browse High School History/Biography
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
- Incommensurable Numbers [07/25/2001]
What is an incommensurable number?
- Japanese Mathematics [02/15/2001]
Can you give me some information on Japanese mathematics, both past and
present, and the names of some famous Japanese mathematicians?
- John Napier [06/17/1998]
Why was John Napier's discovery of logarithms a great contribution to the
field of mathematics?
- John Venn and Venn Diagrams [09/04/1998]
Can you give me some information on John Venn and the origin of Venn
- The Königsberg Bridge [5/20/1996]
Do you have information on Konigsberg's bridge?
- Kumon Math [3/24/1996]
Do you know how I can find information on the Kumon method of teaching
mathematics? It was developed by Mr. Toru Kumon of Japan in 1958...
- Lenore Blum [04/21/1997]
Where can I find information on Lenore Blum?
- 'Log' Button [01/29/1998]
We have been using the 'log' button on our calculators to solve problems
involving compound interest. What does that button do?
- Lorenz Equations [12/25/2002]
How do Lorenz equations work?
- Lorenzo Mascheroni and Emmy Noether [11/15/1995]
What kind of discovery did Lorenzo Mascheroni make? Also, what woman
mathematician was born in 1882 and at what U.S. college did she end her
- Ludolph van Ceulen and Pi [11/02/1998]
How did Ludolph van Ceulen estimate pi by inscribing and circumscribing a
circle with squares?
- Math and God [10/23/2002]
I was wondering if you could give me some information on how people
throughout history have used math to talk about God.
- Math and Music: Harmonic Series [01/09/1998]
Could you supply me with information on how math relates to music?
- The Math Behind Music: Pitches, Scales, Geometry [12/03/1997]
Connections between music, physics, and math.
- Mathematical Notation [11/1/1995]
Is there a source that explores the "mathematical alphabet"?
- Mathematics in Colonial America [11/10/1997]
I am at a loss at how to incorporate pragmatic mathematic lessons into an
early America lesson.
- Math in Computer History [11/04/2000]
I'm doing a major project on the history of computers, focusing on the
mathematical issues and ideas. Can you list some math topics and the
names of some key mathematicians who were involved?
- Math on Africa [01/03/1997]
We're doing an interdisciplinary unit on Africa. My part is to do
something about math...
- Matrices and Computer Programming [11/05/1996]
Why are matrix multiplication and matrix algebra the way they are?
- Methods of Computing Trig Functions [09/07/99]
What would I do to figure out the actual angle of C, without using a
table or calculator, if I know that tan(C) = 4/3?
- Millennium and the Year 0 [01/03/1999]
I know that they new millennium really begins in 2001 because there was
no year 0. Why did they skip that year in the numbering?
- Mobius Strip as Source of Infinity Symbol? [03/31/2005]
A history of the origin of the infinity symbol which discounts the
common misperception that it is based on the Mobius strip.
- Moritz Pasch [09/20/1997]
I need all possible information on Moritz Pasch.
- Multiplying Large Numbers Using Sine and Cosine [12/17/2002]
I am researching Tycho Brahe and have come upon an example where he
uses [sin(a + b) + sin(a - b)]/2 to multiply large numbers together
due to the availability of sine tables. Can you explain the method?
- Names of Polynomials [05/22/1999]
Why is an equation having only two roots, one of which is raised to the
second power, called a quadratic equation?
- Naming Small Numbers [07/29/2002]
Why were the names 'one', 'two', 'three', and so on, given to those
- Naming the Isosceles Triangle [09/23/1998]
How did the isosceles triangle receive its name?
- Natural Logarithms [11/23/1998]
Why are logarithms to the base e called "natural"?
- Negative Number History [11/25/2001]
What happened in the 16th century that caused people to need to use
negative numbers, and what was their image of a negative number before
- The New Math [07/05/2000]
What is the "New Math?"
- Number Systems: Two Points of View [06/30/1998]
What are the number systems?
- Number Word Etymologies [05/03/2001]
Who made up the names for numbers?
- Numeral Systems and Representing Numbers [10/30/1998]
Can you tell me the different ways the number 8 is represented? For
example, what about different numeral systems?
- Omar Khayyam [01/19/1997]
I need three events about Omar Khayyam, a 1st century mathematican, for a
high school report.
- The Origin and Meaning of Q.E.D. [9/20/1995]
What does Q.E.D. stand for?
- The Origin of Conic Sections [10/02/1998]
What are the origins of conic sections?
- Origin of Inductive Proofs [12/03/1997]
What is the origin of the method of "inductive proof"? Why was it
developed and how was it used?
- The Origin of Month Names [10/17/1998]
If oct is the prefix for 8 and dec is the prefix for 10, why is October
the 10th month and December the 12th month?
- Origin of Radians [05/27/2002]
Where, exactly, did radians come from?
- Origin of the Quadratic Equation [7/12/1996]
Who discovered the Quadratic Equation?