See also the
3D and higher
Browse Middle School Definitions
Stars indicate particularly interesting answers or
good places to begin browsing.
- Using Mean, Mode, and Range [11/23/2002]
Examples of real-life uses of mean, mode, and range.
- Vertical Angle [11/15/2001]
What are vertical angles? Are they equal?
- Vertical Angles [10/27/1996]
What are vertical angles?
- Volume vs. Capacity [05/01/2002]
Can you explain the difference between the terms volume and capacity?
Also mass and weight.
- Ways to Remember the Meaning of Circumference, Radius, Diameter, and Chord [03/18/2004]
If the minute hand touched the edge of the clock, would it be most
like a diameter, radius, circumference, or chord of a circle? I have
a hard time remembering what each of those means.
- What are Flops? [02/25/2001]
What are flops, as relating to computers?
- What Are Proofs? [08/12/1997]
I am homeschooling and do not understand proofs. Can you help me out?
- What Does a Twofold Increase Mean? [01/23/2004]
Is a twofold increase simply twice the amount? What about a threefold
increase? I'm not used to this terminology of using 'fold.' Does it
refer to powers or multiples?
- What Does Average Mean? [12/05/2001]
Can someone explain what average is? For example what is the average
rainfall in New York? I understand the formula needed to find the
average, but what is the meaning of average?
- What Does a Vertical Bar Mean? [01/29/2001]
I want to know what the symbol | means, for example |2+3|.
- What Does EE Stand For? [01/14/2003]
What does the EE stand for on a scientific calculator?
- What Does "Mean" Mean? [4/14/1995]
Can the terms average and mean be used interchangeably?
- What Does 'n' Mean? [09/25/2001]
In a pair of numbers, if n is the first number, what is the second?
- What Do Input and Output Mean in Math? [04/09/2007]
What is the relationship between the input and output on a table? I'm
not quite sure what an input or output is.
- What Is a Coefficient? [01/29/2004]
What is a coefficient?
- What is a Cubit? [03/31/2002]
The Bible says that Moses was 9 cubits tall and Pharaoh was 1 cubit tall.
What is that in today's inches or feet?
- What is a Cuboctahedron? [01/02/2001]
What is a cuboctahedron?
- What is a Median? [03/03/1998]
A definition of median, and four examples of calculating medians.
- What is an Algorithm? [08/08/1997]
I have been reading up on computers and microprocessors. The word
algorithm keeps coming up. Can you give me any hints about this?
- What is an N-gon? [06/01/1998]
Can you explain the statement: "In an N-gon, n-3 diagonals can be drawn
from one vertex"?
- What is a Pace? [02/28/2002]
What is the difference between a "pace" and the standard unit of
- What is a Parenthesis? [07/17/2000]
What does the mathematical term "parenthesis" mean?
- What is a point? [8/26/1996]
Define a point, please.
- What is a Set? [04/04/1997]
What is the correct term to refer to groups of objects like 3 cars, 7
pencils, or 5 apples?
- What is a Sign? [04/21/2003]
Can you do anything in math without signs?
- What is a Significant Digit? [12/25/2001]
I came across a question asking for an answer with no more than "2
significant digits" - can you please explain what a significant digit is?
- What is a slide rule? [07/27/1997]
What does a slide rule do and how does it work?
- What is a Stone? [11/11/2001]
Can you tell me what a stone in English measurement is equal to in
- What is a tessellation? [01/20/1997]
Can you give an example?
- What Is a Theorem and Why Are They Important? [08/15/1997]
I don't understand how theorems help us learn.
- What is a Torus? [11/30/1999]
Is there a good way to describe a torus to a child?
- What is a Vertex? [12/06/2001]
And what does vertices mean?
- What is Circumference? [06/25/2001]
My friend told me it's somewhat like the measurement of the outside of a
circle, but I don't understand that.
- What is Denary? [06/07/1999]
Could you please give me two examples of denary?
- What is Dimensional Analysis? [11/26/2001]
What is dimensional analysis and how does it work?
- What is Length in a Rectangle? [05/31/1999]
Is the length of a rectangle the longest side, whether vertical or
- What is Math? [10/04/1997]
Is math a science, an art, or some other anomaly?
- What is "Relatively Prime"? [8/3/1996]
What does it mean when something is relatively prime?
- What is the Difference between a Metric and a Standard Ton? [3/28/1995]
A student has a question about units of weight.
- What Skew Lines Are and Aren't [01/14/2004]
A description of skew lines including diagrams and definitions.