- Letter/Number Puzzles,
a selection of answers from the Dr. Math archives.
- Send More Money
- Find the digit that each letter represents in the equation
SEND + MORE = MONEY.
- Solving SEND + MORE = MONEY
- I have tried logical reasoning and can't get it.
- Finding the Digits of
SEND + MORE = MONEY
- Representing and solving SEND + MORE = MONEY as a system of
equations and inequalities.
- Alphametric Problem
- How do you solve a four-part alphametric where each letter
represents a different digit?
- Crypto-Number Puzzle
- A Pascal program to find numerical values for the letters in:
ONE + TWO + TWO + THREE + THREE = ELEVEN.
- 9 x HATBOX = 4 x BOXHAT
- What is the solution to the cryptogram: 9 x HATBOX = 4 x BOXHAT?
- EVE/DID = .TALKTALKTALK...
- In the equation EVE/DID = .TALKTALKTALK... each letter corresponds
to a different number, and EVE/DID is in lowest terms. What does each
letter stand for?
- Words that Equal $1
- Letters of the alphabet are given values: a = 1 cent, z = 26 cents.
- Words Equal to a Dollar
- I need one-dollar words: a = 1, b = 2, c = 3...z = 26. I would
like a list of words that equal 100.
- The Value of a Word
- Think of a word that equals one dollar. The key is: a=.01,
b=.02, c=.03, ....
- Letter and Word Puzzle: Bag = 2 + 1 + 7 = 10
- What words can I use to make 10?
- 4(ABCD) = DCBA
- Find a four digit number such that 4(ABCD) = DCBA.
- ABCDE/4 = EDCBA
- Find a five-digit number that, when it is quartered, gives an
answer which is its digits in reverse order.
- ABCDC - BEAAC = BADAD
- What do the letters stand for if D = 0?
- DEFABC = 6(ABCDEF)
- Let abcdef be a 6-digit integer such that defabc is 6 times the
value of abcdef. Find the value of a+b+c+d+e+f.
- Headscratch Letter
- Use the numbers 0 to 9 for each letter once: G*B=HA,
D*E=E, I*C=C, H*A=DE, F*J=GJ.
- Look-and-Say Sequence
- I can't find the next six numbers: 1, 11, 21, 1211, 111221, ...
- 121, 111211, 311221 Puzzle
(Look and Say Sequence)
- 121, 111211, 311221 - what's the next number?
- 8549176320 Puzzle
- The following number is formed by a special pattern and is the
only one of its kind: 8549176320. What is the pattern?
- ZOTTFFSSE Puzzle
- What comes next in this letter sequence: ZOTTFFSSE?