- Equivalent measurements: teaspoon, ounce, pint, pound
- You will find a table of equivalent measurements in the back of many
1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
1 cup = 16 tablespoon = 8 ounces
1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons
1/3 cup = 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon
1 pint = 2 cups = 16 ounces
1 quart = 4 cups (2 pints) = 32 ounces
1 gallon = 4 quarts
1 pound = 16 ounces
1/2 pound = 8 ounces
1/4 pound = 4 ounces
Note that a pint is 16 ounces of volume, while a
pound is 16 ounces of weight. The popular rhyme
"A pint's a pound, the world around" can help you
remember this, but keep in mind that they're not really
- Doubling a recipe can be easy (just put in two of each
measurement), but what if you need to divide a recipe in half?
Here are some measurements that may help:
Measurement 1/2 Measurement
1/8 teaspoon just a dash
1 tablespoon 1 1/2 teaspoons
1/4 cup 2 tablespoons
1/3 cup 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons
3/4 cup 6 tablespoons
- Here are some measurement equivalents on the Web:
- Cooking Conversions - Gourmet Sleuth
- Converts drops, dash, pinch, milliliters/cc, deciliter,
fluid dram, teaspoon (US), teaspoon (UK), tablespoon (US),
tablespoon (UK), fluid ounce (US), fluid ounce (imperial),
cups, cubic inch, gill (US), gill (UK), pint (US), pint (UK),
quarts (US), liters, gallons (US), gallons (UK).
- Gram Calculator - Gourmet Sleuth
- Converts grams to ounces, teaspoons, tablespoons, cups.
- Good Cooking's Cooking Measure Converter
- Use the volume converter for conversion of teaspoons to tablespoons,
tablespoons to cups, ounces to cups, cups to pints, pints to quarts, and
cups to gallons. Also liquid and dry measurement equivalents.
- Measure Equivalents, Metric Conversion Factors
- USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service.