Why is Pi Everywhere?

Date: 2/9/96 at 17:9:24
From: Anonymous
Subject: Why is Pi everywhere?

Why does pi show up in things that don't seem to be related to
circles?  For example, I was told that the probability that the
difference between two large prime numbers is equal to another
prime number is equal to 6xpi/2.  (I made that up, but you get
the idea.)

I've checked with various "Pi Experts" on the WWW, but none seem
to know.

Thanks, Chet

Date: 6/27/96 at 12:41:18
From: Doctor Ceeks
Subject: Re: Why is Pi everywhere?

First, the probability you mention is ill-defined until you
specify a probability distribution which dictates how you select
large primes at random.  (Also note that the difference between
two large primes is even, and so prime if and only if the two
primes are consecutive odd numbers.)

In any case, the circle is a very basic notion and because it is
so basic it appears in many places...when pi appears, it is likely
that some circle is present dictating the overall structure of the
problem.

If you think you can find a place where pi really does appear
without circles around (not made up!), please send it along and
I'll try to show you where the circle is.

-Doctor Ceeks,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
High School About Math
Middle School About Math