African-American Mathematicians

Date: 11/07/96 at 19:43:59
From: Anonymous
Subject: African American mathematicians

I am trying to compile a list of African American mathematicians.  Do
you have any suggestions or Internet URLs where I can find some info?

Thanks.

  Mrs. J. Dean

Date: 11/07/96 at 22:08:59
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: African American mathematicians

Hello!

Usually the first place we look for biographical information about
individual mathematicians is the MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive:

  http://turnbull.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/

Also, see Prof. Scott Williams' series of pages, "Mathematicians of
the African Diaspora," created to exhibit the accomplishments of the
peoples of Africa and the African Diaspora within the Mathematical
Sciences.

  http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/

Next, see "The Faces of Science: African Americans in the Sciences":

  https://webfiles.uci.edu/mcbrown/display/banneker.html

I hope this will give you a good start on your project.

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum

Elementary Math History/Biography
High School History/Biography
Middle School History/Biography