Why Does 1+1=2?

Date: 28 Feb 1995 22:27:08 -0500
From: Satinder K. Bhayana
Subject: WHY does 1+1=2?  Nobody that I ask has been able to answer that

Why does 1 + 1 = 2?  Nobody that I ask has been able to answer that
question with explanation.  Notice the word "WHY" not "HOW"!!!  Please
write back ASAP.

Date: 28 Feb 1995 23:35:47 -0500
From: Dr. Ken

Here's a good reason that nobody you ask has been able to tell you
WHY 1+1=2.  I quote from the February edition of the Newsletter of
the Mathematical Association of America:

  ...when was the last time you saw a proof of a real theorem that
	followed the strict rules of logic?  Remember, it took Whitehead
	and Russell 362 pages of formal deduction in their mammoth work
	_Principia_Mathematica_ before they were able to prove 1+1=2.

It was nice that I happened to notice this yesterday, just in time for
your question.  _Principia Mathematica_ was a work that attempted
to codify all of the existing mathematics at that time, in an absolutely
rigorous fashion.  After all, there are almost no proofs these days that
follow the strict rules of logic; they are simply chains of reasoning
that convince mathematicians that such a formalized proof _could_ be
given, but nobody actually wants to see them.

But you are wise to ask why 1+1=2.  I suggest you check out Whitehead
and Russell's book, and see what they have to offer.

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics:
High School History/Biography