Women in Mathematics

Date: 3/6/96 at 19:40:49
From: Alma Marie Walls
Subject: Women mathematicians

Is there someone who would answer questions from 35 eleventh
grade girls about being a woman mathematician in March for
National Women's Month?  Thank you very much.

Alma Marie Walls

Date: 3/9/96 at 14:40:7
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Women mathematicians

Hi Alma! I love the project that you're doing.  Some suggestions
follow.  Many of these are addresses on the World Wide Web.

- Contact nearby colleges with graduate programs in math and ask
for assistance from their graduate students.  Perhaps you'd even be
able to invite some mathematicians to your classroom.

- Contact several women's math organizations on the net.  See

   http://mathforum.org/social/math.women.html

for a list of some of them.

- Other mathematics organizations, like the Mathematical Association
of America, may be also able to help.

- If you have access to newsgroups, you could try

   http://mathforum.org/kb/

E-mailing k12.ed.math or sci.math with some of your questions
might also help.

- For information about women mathematicians in history, check out
some of the sites on

   http://www.mystery.com/WAM/resources/history.html

I particularly recommend

   http://www.scottlan.edu/lriddle/women/women.htm

- For information on Mathematicians at Work, try

   http://mathforum.org/social/moms.html

Good luck with your project and please let us know how it goes.  If
you do this sort of project again, I hope you'll contact us.  Please
do e-mail us with any questions you still have.

-Doctors Sarah and Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
High School History/Biography