Fibonacci Sequence and Grapefruit

Date: 12/6/95 at 18:12:54
From: Roger W. Hevessy
Subject: Fibonacci Sequence and sliced grapefruit

Dear Dr., can you explain how the Fibonacci recursive sequence
can be related or used to explain the appearance of the sections of a
grapefruit sliced in half?

Thanks, Kelley Hevessy

Date: 6/10/96 at 22:0:18
From: Doctor Leigh
Subject: Re: Fibonacci Sequence and sliced grapefruit

Dear Kelley,

The numbers from the Fibonacci recursive sequence can be found in many
areas of nature, including grapefruits.  When the grapefruit is halved
count the number of divisions inside, you should end up with a number
from Fibonacci.  Other things with Fibonacci numbers include the sides
of a banana, counting around a pineapple (starting at the bottom and
following the divisions in a spiral up to the top), as well as counting
the number of sections in each circle of an artichoke.

Thanks for your question!  I hope this has answered it.

-Doctor Leigh Ann,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
High School Fibonacci Sequence/Golden Ratio