String Art Ideas?

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 1994 13:15:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Anonymous
Subject: Construct. resource ? for the good Dr.

I would like to know the names of some good books for mathematically
constructing string art designs.  Also I would like to know the
names of some good books for constructing drawn figures that go
way beyond the simple constructions in the average 10th grade
geometry book.  Preference would be for figures that could be done
with a compass and a ruler, but anything interesting would be great!

Thanks!!!!!!

Sharon
gordonse@iris.uncg.edu

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 00:35:51 -0500
From: Anonymous
Subject: Re: Construct. resource ? for the good Dr.

We don't have any string art resources for you off the top.  But we'll
ask around.

For constructing figures, look at the Serra _Discovering Geometry_
text in the opening chapters.  Also contact Key Curriculum, publishers
of Sketchpad.  I don't have my information on Key here but one number
is 510-548-2304.

-- steve

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 12:09:04 -0500
From: Jane Stavis

Dear Sharon,

     Steve Weimar forwarded your post to me.  I have an old xerox I inherited
of a pamphlet entitled "Mathematical Topics: Curve stitching" put out by
Oxford University Press in 1960.  While you quite likely have most of the
actual designs presented, it does have some interesting background
information.  If you send me your US Mail address, I'd be glad to send you
a xerox.

     Thinking about your topic, however --and thinking about the active
teaching of computers--I was wondering if computer programs are used to
create curve stitching designs these days --whether that be within a simple
draw program, using Logo, or using a programming language--and what the
pros and cons are of a computer approach, the pencil and paper versions
usually done, and an actual stitching with some sort of string/thread.  I'd
be interested to hear your thoughts based upon your particular goals (and
the realities of equipment and time).

I also have a variety of compass drawing patterns that I have worked with
over the years that are just plain fun.

Let me know if you would like a copy of the pamphlet and/or the compass
designs.

-Jane Stavis
Westtown School

Associated Topics: