School Fair Projects

Date: 3/11/96 at 19:8:38
From: Rocky W Blackmore   fishing guide
Subject: Fair projects

My school district is having a fair (student talent on
parade) and I want to do a project using math.  Do you have any
ideas for me?  I have some, but none which interest me.  I'm in
grade 8 but would like something a little more advanced.

Thanks for your time,

Christy J. Blackmore

Date: 3/11/96 at 19:31:12
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Fair projects

Hi there -

You might get some ideas of things to draw or build by looking on the Web at

These pages by Jan Garner have suggestions for perspective
drawing, making a moebius strip and what to do with it once you've
made it, building polyhedra, spreadsheets, etc.  If you answer the
questions she asks and build the models she shows you how to make,
and you take what you've built to the fair and ask other people
the questions (put them on tagboard or something) - like what do
they think will be the result if they cut a moebius strip as she
suggests - you could have quite a nice exhibit.

If you have HyperCard on your computer you might also want to look

- a tutorial on making tessellations (and what they are).

Both of these projects have tie-ins with M.C. Escher.  Do you know
his work?

Have fun with your project!

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics: