Why Math?

Date: 3/25/96 at 14:47:45
From: JAK
Subject: Why math?

Why do you like math so much? It's a pain in the butt! ;)

Date: 9/28/96 at 21:33:7
From: Doctor Sydney
Subject: Re: Why math?

Dear JAK,

I know math can seem like a huge pain sometimes, but a lot of higher
mathematics is very beautiful.  I know, I know, you probably don't
believe me, but a lot of people think of math as an art form at its
abstract levels. For instance, one of my favorite concepts in math is
infinity.  Mathematicians have studied infinity very carefully, and
they have found that there are different "sizes" of infinity.  For
example, the set of counting numbers, {1, 2, 3, ...}, is infinite, but
it is "smaller" then the infinite set of all real numbers (all numbers
on the number line, like 2, 1/2, the square root of two, pi, etc.)

Practically speaking, math is extremely useful in every science.  Keep
plugging away!  I hope you enjoy it.

-Doctor Sydney,  The Math Forum

Middle School About Math