Word for a 225th Birthday

Date: 07/10/2001 at 03:14:08
From: Jerry Rosen
Subject: Is there a word for a 225th birthday?

This year America is celebrating its 225th birthday. As we celebrated
the bicentennial in 1976, is there a term for 225 years?

Thanks,
Jerry

Date: 07/10/2001 at 12:50:06
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Is there a word for a 225th birthday?

Hi, Jerry.

There are words for such odd anniversaries, but I'm not sure they are
at all standard. I first found this site

   Gustavus (College) Usage: An Alphabetical Listing
   http://www.gustavus.edu/oncampus/publications/style/alpha.cfm

which, under anniversaries (institutional), gives a list:

    Colleges and universities are big on anniversary celebrations,
    so it's important that we're proper in our references to them.
    Most of the following terms are tremendously awkward, so
    alternative labels like "jubilee" may be preferred.
     50 = quinquagenary (golden)
     75 = terquasquigenary (diamond)
    100 = centennial
    125 = quasquicentennial
    150 = sesquicentennial
    175 = terquasquicentennial
    200 = bicentennial
    225 = bicenquasquigenary
    250 = bicenquinquagenary
    275 = bicenterquasquigenary
    300 = tricentennial

I searched the Web, and found that some of the above appear only at
that site, so I don't really trust it. Also, I know the 300th
anniversary as the "tercentenary"; I think that's the preferred name,
though both are in my dictionary. I find "quasquicentennial" in use
elsewhere, but not "bicenquasquigenary," which is the one you are
asking about.

So I kept looking. Here's a list I think I trust more:

   MIStupid.com - The Online Knowledge Magazine - Anniversaries
   http://mistupid.com/months/annivnames.htm

        Year   Anniversary Name
         2nd   Biennial
         3rd   Triennial
         4th   Quadrennial
         5th   Quinquennial
         6th   Hexennial
         7th   Septennial
         8th   Octennial
         9th   Novennial
        10th   Decennial
        11th   Hendecennial
        12th   Duodecennial
        13th   Tredecennial
        15th   Quindecennial
        16th   Sextodecennial
        17th   Septendecennial
        20th   Vigintennial
        30th   Trigentennial
        40th   Quadragennial
        50th   Quinquagenary or Jubilee
        60th   Sexagennial
        70th   Septuagennial
        75th   Septuagesiquintennial
        80th   Octogintennial
        90th   Nonagintennial
       100th   Centennial
       125th   Quasquicentennial
       150th   Sesquicentennial
       175th   Septaquintaquinquecentennial
       200th   Bicentennial
       225th   Quasquibicentennial
       250th   Semiquincentennial
       300th   Tercentennial
       350th   Semiseptcentennial
       400th   Quatercentenary
       500th   Quincentennial
       600th   Sexcentennial
       700th   Septcentennial
       800th   Octocentennial
     1,000th   Millenial
    15,000th   Quindecimillenial

That makes this the "Quasquibicentennial" (which means, "a quarter
more than 200 years").

Here is an alternative discussion I found:

   Naming the Anniversaries - Glenn Kersten
   (Reference service, Suburban Library System, Burr Ridge, Illinois)
   http://www.sls.lib.il.us/reference/por/features/97/annivers.html

This looks the most "official" but it doesn't include 225. For the
sake of repetitiveness - I mean, completeness - here's their list:

    The March 1988 issue of Quidnunc, erstwhile newsletter for
    Illinois system and R&R reference librarians, included a
    comprehensive though not all-inclusive list of anniversary
    names, many of which were verified in the Oxford English
    Dictionary. Below is a new list based largely on the Quidnunc
    list, with a few more recent additions. The abbreviations in
    the Authority column refer to the Random House Dictionary
    (RHD) and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED). Those without
    dictionary authority are listed as "Proposed." (The latter
    were created using Latin number forms, but cannot be
    considered to be official terms; they were created by
    individuals without consensus.)

Number of Years  Anniversary Name             Authority
---------------  ----------------             ---------
2                Biennial                     OED
3                Triennial                    OED
4                Quadrennial                  OED
5                Quinquennial                 OED
6                Hexennial                    Proposed
7                Septennial                   OED
8                Octennial                    OED
9                Novennial                    OED
10               Decennial                    OED
11               Hendecennial                 Proposed
12               Duodecennial                 OED
13               Tredecennial                 Proposed
15               Quindecennial                OED
16               Sextodecennial               Proposed
17               Septendecennial              OED
20               Vigintennial                 Proposed
30               Trigentennial                Proposed
40               Quadragennial                OED
50               Quinquagenary or Jubilee     OED
60               Sexagennial                  Proposed
70               Septuagennial                Proposed
75               Septuagesiquintennial        Proposed
80               Octogintennial               Proposed
90               Nonagintennial               Proposed
100              Centennial                   OED
125              Quasquicentennial            RHD
150              Sesquicentennial             OED
175              Terquasquicentennial or
                 Septaquintaquinquecentennial Proposed
200              Bicentennial                 OED
250              Semiquincentennial           Proposed
300              Tercentennial                OED
350              Semiseptcentennial           Proposed
400              Quatercentenary              OED
500              Quincentennial               OED
600              Sexcentennial                Proposed
700              Septcentennial               Proposed
800              Octocentennial               OED
1,000            Millenial                    OED
15,000           Quindecimillenial            OED

It looks as if you can use any word you like for the 225th, at your
own risk.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum

Elementary Definitions
Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers